Used Cobalt or Accent

Having that service done is, of course going to prolong the life of the car. OTOH, not having some of the functions done may have very little effect on the life of the car. No way would I ever follow the dealer's recommendations. They are a profit center, not just a booster for your driving comfort. Most important single thing you can do is change the oil at the proper interval. If you drive a lot, that is probably 7500 miles.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well, I'll take some nervous solace in the "Lowest Cost to Own" glyphic that Edmund's put on the Honda Fit. I hope to god they figgered in Honda maintenance. :) I'll proly have my local very honest guy do the service/assessments.

I used to thank god I wadn't born in the feudal lords/pirate days, cuz I didn't think I could cope. Instead, today we have NYS and their bevy of regulatory agencies, including the out-of-control DMV, and car mfr's/dealerships.

Bluebeard is looking kind of tame....

Time for another tea party?

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

because of my experience with cars. Hyundai = korean for garbage.

A Cobalt ain't that great, but it's better than a Hyundai.

For me, it's also a GM, which because I fix my own cars, means I stand a chance of being able to service it. I can rebuild my wife's Beretta blindfolded by now, but every time I open the hood of my Subaru, I'm reaching for the manual for anything beyond checking the oil - it's all the same and yet completely different.

That's why.

I've also driven in an Accent and a Cobalt, and the Cobalt is the better driving car.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Ray wrote in news:QJV7i.2570$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe13.lga:

I can't argue with your experience, but are you talking about anything recent? Or are we pre-2000?

Every time I see this statement I feel my wallet get fatter. Keep it up as you are saving me and the other Hyundai owners money.

Actually, no it isn't. And up until the last few years (and yes I know the Cobalt is fairly new) this was just a matter of personal opinion.

Again, that is your personal choice. If you can service a GM, you can service just about any other vehicle if you want to spend a few minutes to learn about it.

LOL. I could do that on the '86 Excel my sister owned too. Since about '99 or so, I haven't had to rebuild an Hyundai's I've owned. Seriously, if you know how to rebuild a car blindfolded, you probably done it too many times. Buy a Hyundai and you won't ever have to worry about that again.

No offense but it sounds like you don't really want to learn it.

Again, I can't argue with your opinion, but I drove a Cobalt and the thing felt like a real POS. Others have expressed the same opinion. And there are probably just as many people that think the Accent is a POS. Personally, I give the Accent the win hands down.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I'm not looking to argue, really I'm not.

I test drove an 06 Accent with my mom (she eventually bought an 05 Neon and loves it) and immediately felt like I was in a time warp back to the

86 Excel. I've also test driven an 06 Pontiac G6 and thought "this is a really nice 1990 Beretta" so it's not just Hyundai. It's a combination of milking the same old crap under a new hood, as well as the "common look and feel" each car company has.

Remember, a Cobalt isn't a Cavalier, which has been likened to a cockroach - ugly and hard to kill. The Cobalt is supposely miles better, but it was too small of a car for me to consider with two small kids, and my mom didn't like it when she was car shopping, so we skipped it.

I know I can service any car, but because I've primarily owned GM's and my friend has owned GM's, the learning curve is a lot shorter when it comes time to servicing stuff. I'm only a DIY'er, not a professional mechanic. I have the shop manual for my Subie, but it's just completely different than any of the other 15 cars I've ever owned.

I can rebuild the Beretta because my wife has owned since 1994, and it's been a pretty good car - never left me stranded in 10 winters, and in Winnipeg, that's a pretty good record. When I replaced the struts and shocks and balljoints last winter, I was able to do most of the work from memory and barely needed the shop manual for more than torque specs. It's like on my race car, we can pull the engine in 45 minutes including time for a beer.

Practice makes perfect. Every car company does a lot of good/stupid stuff under the hood, but at least it's usually the same across all their cars, so servicing one gets you some experience servicing them all.

And frankly, if people are allowed to say "all domestic cars are shit" because they once owned a 77 Bobcat that was a POS, then I'm allowed to say that Hyundai sucks because of my experience with an 86 Excel.

If I had to choose between an Accent and a Cobalt, I'd probably pick a used Camaro. ;)

Ray

Reply to
Ray

You are playing a old tape...

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Ray wrote in news:JM%7i.161289$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.lga:

I never took it as arguing (maybe the comment about Hyundai = Korean for garbage would be considered argumentative by some, but I took it as a joke).

And no offense to your Mom, but I owned a '96 Neon. It handled great, but was a major POS otherwise. Unless they've come leaps and bounds since then (and they may have), that car was a classic case of M.O.P.A.R (My Old Pig Ain't Running).

I agree with your servicing comments. I was only trying to make the point that you shouldn't rule out buying a specific car because it may take you a little longer to change the ball joints the first time you need to do it in 10 years. But I guess you bought a Subaru, so you are only half worried about it.

As to the Hyundia sucks comment, I never said you couldn't express your opinions, and I don't think I was even picking on you for it. I don't think all domestic cars are shit either, but the domestic cars that I would buy are pretty much out of my ball park.

And yes, the choice between a Cobalt and an Accent is a choice I hope I never have to make. My 2006 Sonata is tight enough for me and my two kids with all of our crap. Luckily, we have the '07 Entourage to use when we all need to travel (including the wife).

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

probably an 8 track