Valentine radar detector: false laser warning due to brake lights?

Anyone else get false laser warnings due to brake lights from certain vehicles?
Just today the brake lights from a GMC Envoy was causing my Valentine
1 to think there was a laser gun in front of me. It's not the first time a recent model SUV-type vehicle's brake lights causes the laser warning to go off.
My Valentine is either '99 or '2000 vintage. Are the current models any better (in any way) vs mine?
MoPar Man wrote:

Mine is '02 vintage and I get it too, seems to be only the neon type brake lights, incandescent and LED don't seem to bother it.
nate

It's somewhat buried on the valentineone.com website... http://www.valentineone.com/lab/Previously7.asp If you don't have laser out there, you can disable it.
I just about sh*t myself last summer - drove into Reno at night and I thought my V1 was going to blow up it was beeping so hard. All the Neon out there really throws it for a loop. It was the first time I had heard the laser mode and it seemed to be coming from everywhere...
--
Ray

Yep. I just press mute and back the heck off from those dang Chevy Suvs - usually 6-8 sec. following distance keeps the V1 quiet.

Yeah, I'm pretty used to this now - and I know for a fact that the cops ain't running no stoopid laser in a 15kph traffic snarl on East 49th! So I just press mute and keep my distance, letting engine braking take care of things. This seldom causes any trouble, because I can always ooze up a little again when the invariable happens and someone slots into the large gap.

You'll hafta either disable the LD (NOT recommended 'cos it does work, even though laser detection is always a bit touch'n'go) or just live with the "bug". Some Chevy etc. taillights do seem to emit enough electromagnetic "radiation" at ~332THz to send V1 into Wail, Wail, Go Ballistic Mode.

'Fraid not. Damn those Chevy trucks! *smirk*
--
ricardo, ex-euroslav vancouver bc canada
e-mail: remove spamfreezone to reply
"MoPar Man" <MoPar> wrote in message

A laser is (essentially) just a concentrated light beam. I service equipment that uses lasers. In some test equipment, we use LEDs to "simulate" the output of certain lasers. (for the receiving equipment) Depending on what technology is used in a brake light, I can easily see how a V1 could be fooled by certain brake lights. They'd have to have "hot" spots, though, I would think, to trigger the V1. -Dave
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:29:23 GMT, "Dave C."

I believe this happens because V1 is so hypersensitive to 332THz signals. It hasta be so as to provide even a measurable chance of detecting a real police laser in time.

Chevy trucks/Suvs set mine off all the darned time. I just press mute and back off a little and hey, whaddyaknow, bliss again. :}
--
ricardo, ex-euroslav vancouver bc canada
e-mail: remove spamfreezone to reply
snipped-for-privacy@spamfreezone.yahoo.ca (Ricardo) wrote in wrote:

Where did this "332 TeraHertz(THz,10E-12)" figure come from? AFAIK,laser speedguns use a 904 nanometer(10E-9) wavelength laser diode,with a very short pulse width of ~30 nanosec,and pulse repetition rates of ~500hz.
Something does not compute.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
snipped-for-privacy@kua.net

tera = 10^12, not 10^-12.
Wavelength and frequency of light are related by
c = lambda * nu
Where c is the speed of light, lambda is the wavelength, and nu is the frequency.
The wavelength corresponding to 332 THz is (3e10 cm/s) / (332e12 s^-1) = 9.04e-5 cm = 904 nm. As you say...

Yes, it does.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 00:25:07 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@wopr.caltech.edu (Matthew Hunt) wrote:
[snip applied "v = f x LAMBDA" formula]

Someone's on the ball! :}

Sure seems to eh? :} It's always nice to cast a new perspective on things, especially something as innocuous and nightmarish as a police laser. I really almost have had nightmares about those darn things. <g>
--
ricardo, ex-euroslav vancouver bc canada
e-mail: remove spamfreezone to reply
snipped-for-privacy@wopr.caltech.edu (Matthew Hunt) wrote in wrote:

Yes,you are absolutely correct.Thanks.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
snipped-for-privacy@kua.net
MoPar Man wrote:

Not just vehicles -- there's a video billboard along US 101 in Redwood City, California that always falses my V1. It's next to the Liberate building, and is an upgraded version of the old Circle Star theater marquee (demolished and replaced with Liberate).
Like someone else said, laser is just concentrated light, so most any concentrated light source can set it off. Too bad laser jammers are illegal in California -- but I haven't seen too many LEOs using laser here anyway, so it's all rather moot for me.
--
Bob

Bob Flaminio wrote:

How about a big neon beer sign in my back window :)
nate
A cop car with strobbing led lights set off my V1 a few weeks ago. We don't use laser in PA

I suspect the V1 simply looks for PULSED IR light.Perhaps within some window of pulse length,and probably not band-filtered for any particular wavelength.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
snipped-for-privacy@kua.net