Van sometimes dies at idle

Van is a 97 Dodge 3/4 ton with 318 cid fi engine. It just started to frequently die at idle...idle seems low.

It did this once before, but cleared up after about a day.

It was time for a service so I replaced PCV, plugs, oil and filters. It runs a little better but this was not the total answer.

There is no replaceable fuel filter on this model, AFAIK.

I have not yet read error codes, but will try to do that tomorrow.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I suspect EGR, but havent had time to check much out (Ike intervened).

Reply to
HLS

Answering my own question, this unit is a MPFI design, and uses an idle air control motor (valve) to regulate the idle speed.

If they stick or get sluggish, then the condition I described could apply.

Will post what I find.

Reply to
HLS

The guy who lives behind my house still has his 1990 Chevrolet RV van for sale.Throttle body, he said it dies when he takes his foot off the pedal, the right front electric window doesn't work.One time he told me $1,300, not later on, he said $1,100.He is back up to $1,300 again.I don't know anything at all about throttle body or fuel injection.I had enough trouble strong arm muscleing my 1960s Mercedes Benz four cylinder diesel (fuel injection) engine into the leanto shed behind my house. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Nothing is simple anymore. If you cant handle fuel injection, then you can (1) walk, (2) ride a donkey, (3) hitch a ride, (4) use a qualified mechanic, or (5) learn about MPFI.

Fuel injection is not, in itself, a problem. The sorryass electronics systems which link all systems via a mental breakdown is the problem.

Dealership mechanics have problems with these systems,and often have very unhappy customers. Primo independents may have better luck but the problem is still deep within the manufacturers' systems.

I hate the F.S. out of some of the modern systems. We should hold them by the noses and kick their asses up between their eyes.

American cars suck, because of poor dependability, over the longer haul.

Buy a mule, Cuhulin. If you cant ride them, you can eat them.

Reply to
HLS

That is why I am interested in the 1983 Dodge van that guy has for sale.But, I am going to have to get my sister to take me over to his house so I can check the van out.I know how to work on old carbureter vehicles.He wont drive his van over here, I will have to get over there, probally this Saturday.That all depends if the van is still for sale and what kind of condition the van is in.He lives about 13 miles from me. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I think the idle problem with the van is solved. May be good for everybody here to read and remember.

Apparently many cars and trucks have problems with gunking in the throttle body and plenum, due to gasoline blends, EGR, etc.

This seems to have been my problem. After a thorough cleaning, everthing seems to be fine.

My friend and professional mechanic did this work for me, and told me that he had done the same to his small pickup. Mileage improved from 176 miles per tank, up to near 250 miles per tank, repeatably, and has stayed there. If he said it, I take it as fact.

Reply to
HLS

I just now phoned that guy about his 1983 Dodge van.He still has it for sale.Let me take my little doggy out in the front yard for a minute.Then I need to step across Highway 80 to the bank, in case I decide to buy that old van tomorrow. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

LOL, for sure he still has it for sale, his price is a joke. That person likes his van 'way' too much so thinks with a price like that no one will take it away from him so he can say to the wife, 'see, I can't get rid of it so may as well keep it'.

Seriously

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain