PO341 code on 01 Monte Carlo

Was told this was a Camshaft Position Sensor code. Engine light was staying on, now it went off again. Car has 97,000 miles on it an no problems with it till this. Tranny is shifting a little hard too. Ay input on this? Also, where is that sensor located? Would it be best to just replace the sensor or could something else be involved here? Thanks to any and all help on this. I prefer to fix my own when I can but this is new to me.

Reply to
LadyT via CarKB.com

If the engine is a 3100 or 3400, the sensor is located under the power steering pump.

Reply to
Steve Austin

On some of the GM engines (the 3800 for example), it was not uncommon for the magnet to fall out of the camshaft gear, effectively killing this signal. If you have the smaller V6s, it wouldnt surprise me if the same system is involved. Point being, it may not be the sensor itself, but rather the magnet.

Reply to
HLS

I will see what the engine is and get back to ya'll. Thanks Steve and HLS

Reply to
LadyT via CarKB.com

It is a 3.4 engine. Someone said the timing self adjusts, is this true???

Reply to
LadyT via CarKB.com

The pcm adjusts the ignition timing by controlling a signal to the ignition control module. The igniton control module is the flatish looking thing that the coils sit on top of. The crank sensor (one of them) plugs into the icm. The icm will fire at cranking with the connection to the pcm unplugged. The camshaft sensor sends a signal to the pcm and the pcm uses the signal to tell which revolution the engine is on. This is so it can fire the sequential fuel injectors at the right time. The engine will run without the cam sensor plugged in. However the fuel injection timing wont be right. The cam sensor is at

90% to the camshaft and reads a notch in the cam. There is no magnet to fall out. The cam sensor is easy to replace once the ps pump is out of the way.
Reply to
Steve Austin

Reply to
man of machines