Video showing you can't stop a runaway toyota with the brakes

Given their track record and lack of credibility, CR needs to show objective data.

Reply to
Pete C.

That's exactly it, that 911 call proves the incompetence of the driver is at fault. Even if you couldn't shut the car off or put it in neutral, it should have been entirely possible to perform a controlled crash to stop it rather than letting it continue to accelerate to more and more lethal velocity.

Reply to
Pete C.

It was misleading fluff, just like their infamous rollover videos which prove nothing more than the fact that you can cause any vehicle to rollover if you try hard enough.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, it is the emergency situations that separate the competent drivers from the incompetent drivers. With all the distractions and "safety" features on today's vehicles, the drivers are becoming increasingly incompetent, so it's taking smaller and smaller emergencies to trigger disasters.

Do you know how many accidents have been triggered by the end of a lit cigarette falling off in the drivers lap? There are no actual statistics for this of course, but having talked to a couple smokers and heard of their personal close calls, it would appear that the true figure is pretty high.

Reply to
Pete C.

I believe the Car and Driver tests all began at 62 mph. So they had that energy to deal with at the outset. None of the tests I've seen have stringent controls.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

"Rotational energy" of four tires, about 80 pounds all together?

A bit over 1% of a three ton vehicle:

I'd just guesstimate F=MA using 6000lb at whatever speed you think it can manage. Then add in whatever engine power to that speeding mass.

Reply to
AMuzi

Sorry, but if you're of the impression that only 4 tires and their aggregate mass alone are the sole considerations or determining factors, then you quite obviously understand precious little to absolutely nothing of rotational kinematics.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

Vic- If you floor the accelerator in your car when in neutral or park it will rev up to the "fuel cut" limiter. Most 3.1's will survive this. some wont.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Thanks for that. So I won't test my 3.1. Just use the key if it ever gets unruly.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

From a standing start, I think it is true the brakes of most passenger cars can overcome the engine. However, if you are already at a high speed, I am not sure the brakes can overcome the engine plus momentum. It is possible that because of the momentum of the car, the brakes will overheat and fade out before you can get the car stopped. I would only argue that the brakes can overcome the engine from a standing start. This covers the case where the little old lady claims the car accelerated violently in the parking lot and crashed through the store window.

In the case of the famous California crash, the car was heading downhill at a high rate of speed. In this case I can believe the brakes could not overcome the engine - particularly if the driver was initially timid in applying the brakes. In this case, you need to apply the brakes with as much force as possible and try to stop the car as quickly as possible. Going at it slowly will just heat the brakes up more and guarantee they will fade out.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Cars or anything else, the faster anything is moving, the more impact/force it can exert upon collision with whatever.Not many years ago a little paint chip in orbit around Earth put a good size dent in one of the Space Shuttles windows.That isn't ordinary glass either on Space Shuttles. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I finally watched the video... no trailbraking in a new VW? what crap. VW used to be a driver's car.

nate

Reply to
N8N