Re: Brakes unable to stop runaway Lexus in California?

>>> Most people twist the key striaght to locking the steering column, >>> making a bad situation worse. >> >> It may be possible to make a throttle stick, but here are the laws of >> physics: >> No car can overpower its brakes. From any speed. If your foot is on >> the brake pedal the car will come to a stop. From 10, 20, 80, 120 MPH. >> I have personally done this on a closed track. When people say the car >> continues to accelerate despite "pressing with all their might" on the >> brakes, their foot wasn't on the brake pedal. >> >> Simple. End of story. > > The cars I've driven, you have to REMOVE the key to get the steering > column to lock.

Never driven a GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, or just about every other make then.

99% of the vehicles out there lock the steering wheel when you turn off the key (some do have a button you have to push to get to the lock position though) You don't have to remove the key though.

Some newer vehicles also use the ECM to control the transmission shifting and will not allow you to shift into neutral if the engine is under load from the transmission.

Reply to
Steve W.