Volkswagen PCV(?) valve question

I'm currently still working on the girlie's Corrado G60... reason for current thrash is a bad noise from some belt driven accessory, combined with copious amounts of oil throughout the intake piping, supercharger, intercooler, etc.

I have removed a big square breather looking thing from the valve cover. It for all the world looks like some kind of PCV valve assembly but it is perfectly hollow inside, and is essentially a big hollow passage. I am thinking that this can't possibly be correct, because then when the return line to the SC intake is pressurized (as can happen at closed throttle/high RPM) the crankcase would then be pressurized. Am I right? I'm guessing I need to buy a new one but would like confirmation before I do so.

Bentley manual, online searches show nothing... "a certain program" shows this part as a "pressure regulating valve" and this one certainly does not regulate pressure, so I'm thinking that a previous owner gutted it for unknown reasons, and also for unknown reasons no mechanic has caught the error?

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Superchargers pressurizes the intake air above atmospheric pressures - the hollow part is made of some sort of metal alloy - Aluminum? Not plastic - Sounds right to me!!

What's the reason that you're dismantling engine parts??

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

eh, the factory boost tubes were plastic... so are the end caps on the intercooler... car is in surgery because of a bad rotating accessory noise and copious amounts of oil in the intake, I suspect this may be a sign the supercharger is leaking more than boosting and needs to be rebuilt... I've fired the engine with the serp. belt off and the intake disconnected and aside from the sucking noises from the throttle body it sounded a lot better, so I'm thinking I'm on the right track.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel