Weak Blower Motor

I have a 97 Dodge Ram Van B2500. This model has only front air and it is a big van. The fan seems very weak and simply does not put out even on high. I have a new AC system, new fan motor, new condesor, new switch and a new resistor! Does anyone know why this fan is soooo weak? Is there an aftermarket fan that is superduty? Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
revantone

I assume that you have verified there is nothing obstructing the airflow?

I have found that mice will even make a nest in the air ducts during the winter.

Reply to
DaveB

You might have undesirable resistance somewhere in the motor circuit. The proper test would be to use and amp meter to check for correct current and perform voltage drop tests on the circuit to find any excessive resistance. Another possibility is that the duct work is faulty or one of the air damper doors is binding or leaking air. If the motor has the correct current draw then a close inspection of the plenum and duct work would be in order (not an easy task).

Also, you said you have a new A/C system. Does that include a new evaporator? If not, the old one might be clogged with debris and blocking air flow, or if a new one was installed, they may not have sealed the case properly.

Reply to
Kevin

just a thought, a damper door is malfunctioning, the *wrong* fan motor, or, and this can happen,

a leaking evaporator coil that has collected dirt overtime, leaves, debris obstructing air flow across the evaporator coil.

if the ac is working at optimum, and the exiting air flow is not up to standard, look for a lack of air flow across the evaporator coil.

does the suction line sweat good next to the compressor when the unit has run for a while?

what is the temperature coming out of the register, is it 40=B0?

Reply to
fiveiron

a leaking evaporator coil that has collected dirt overtime, leaves, debris obstructing air flow across the evaporator coil.

if the ac is working at optimum, and the exiting air flow is not up to standard, look for a lack of air flow across the evaporator coil.

Do I hear an echo?

Reply to
Kevin

Teehee heee heee I hope that dosen't mean I have to take him to raise. I've already got a shop full of those.

Reply to
Kevin

I have the same exact year and model of that van. The fan motor (OEM) is normally a lot more powerful than what you describe. Nontheless, the heat load on that van is large, and it can be difficult to cool in hot climates.

On my van, I have burned out that crappola resistor once. I found that it doesn't burn out on its own...the fan is drawing too much current, possibly intermittently. But you say you have replaced both the resistor and the fan motor. Did you use an OEM motor or a local parts house one? Believe it or not, Dodge quoted me a cheaper price for an OEM than the local parts houses.

Next, the switch on the dash of my van is touchy. I haven't replaced it yet, but need to do that.

Others have posted about the other typical causes of low fan output, so I wont go there.

I found my van was hard to keep cool, and I kept running it in Max mode. As you can imagine, it would freeze up pretty quickly under those circumstances. I applied window film to lower the heat loading, and it has worked very well. I keep cool in all but the very freaking worst of weather now.

I used the 3M film available at places like Walmart, but was VERY careful in installing it. I have had it on the van for about three years now, and you can't tell it isn't a factory job...no bubbles, no disbonding, nothing.

Reply to
<HLS