'97 Disco - belts??

Hi all,

Last year I had my water pump replaced...and with it what the garage charged as a serpentine belt...(ERR5579 DISCO 1 SERP BELT 12F).

Today, the service station that is giving me my Virginia state safety check says that I need my "fan belt" replaced.

Now, I thought 1997 Discos had only one belt.

Am I wrong?

Are there two separate belts...the serpentine that drives the water pump, power steering pump, air compressor, alternator, etc....and another one that drives the fan??

Thanks.

John

Reply to
John Arnold

If it's a 300TDi (which uses a serpentine belt) then no, there's no separate fan belt, it's all powered by the one belt. 200TDis I believe have a number of old-style V-belts for driving the ancilliaries.

I've referred to the serpentine belt as a "fan belt" on a few occasions and have heard others do so, so chances are that's what they meant.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hi Ian...

Thanks for your response....sorry that I didn't provide all the pertinent info...

My Disco is a petro-engine, 4.0 L

Does that have two different belts?

Thanks.

John

Reply to
John Arnold

Hmm, just clocked that you're from the states so probably using a V8 petrol? If so, ignore the above ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Heh, I figured out that it was probably a petrol a few seconds before the above post appeared, typical ;-)

No idea re petrols, I only know the diesels, but there's plenty of V8 buffs in this group who should be able to answer now that we've clarified what's in it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

My 300 has a V belt driving the A/C compressor in addition to the serpentine driving everything else.

Reply to
GbH

That's not an ancilliary, that's an indulgence ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Petrol V8 has ONE serpentine belt on a '97 - assuming it was built in '97! If it's a 3.9 (4.0 in the US), it will have one single belt - even if you have A/C - the diesel has an acilliary belt for this.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee