What bluetooth OBD tester do you recommend

I want an Android or iOS OBD tester. Any recommendations? Car is 2002 OBD2

Reply to
Harold R

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 01:43:36 -0000 (UTC), Harold R wrote as underneath :

I have one of the eBay super cheapo blue jobs and it works fine though the software is a bit clunky. The problem is that they give very little of the information you might want because these units have no access to any of the car manufacturer's specific data that you might actually be after. You need an expensive unit that has specific access to (in my case Peugeot data) for that. It does though allow reset of the MIL light. C+

Reply to
Charlie+

What do you want to be able to do?

Reply to
Steve W.

How about an algorithm I could upload instead of the upcoming engine rebuild with rings and valves?

Reply to
AMuzi

I have owned the BAFX Products 34t5 for a few weeks. It is a popular choic e amongst users of Torque, which is a really nice smartphone app for displa ying & logging OBD II data. The 34t5 is quite affordable, around $20 on Am azon.

I wouldn't bother with anything cheaper. I originally bought an adapter th at was $7, listed as "V1.5 Bluetooth Mini Small Interface OBD2 OBDII Scanne r Adapter Torque." It was junk. It mostly worked, but would drop the conn ection at random, and gave lots of communication errors, so wasn't satisfac tory.

Some other problems I've read of but haven't personally experienced, regard ing the really cheap (sub-$20) adapters:

-pairing is not preserved across sessions. So if you unplug the adapter (w hich is a good idea when leaving the car overnight or longer), then plug it back in later, you'll have to re-pair it with your phone, which is a pain.

-some even claim that cheaper ones have damaged the ECU or other electronic s. This is certainly possible, due to the many hardware shorcuts taken in the cheaper adapters (missing components, poor quality components, etc.).

So spend a few bucks. You can even go nuts and get one of the really nice $60-$100 packages, which include a very good quality OBD II Bluetooth adapt er and smartphone app.

You may find the Torque app forums informative. There are threads discussi ng various OBD II adapters, which ones work well and ones to avoid:

I have the Pro version of Torque. It's a nice app, with all kinds of displ ay options and data logging. Worth the $4.95 I think.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Jc Maxwell

None of them!

Nothing beats physically plugging the OBD in. Same for audio.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Surely something has to be plugged in anyway, Why does it matter what kind of connection exists -- wired or wireless -- between the plugged-in module and the display module?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Perce wrote: "- show quoted Why does it matter what kind of connection exists -- wired or wireless -- between the plugged-in module and the display module?

Perce "

I've never had a physical connection fail me, in any application. Bluetooth for me has been hit or miss over the years.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Direct connection allows for faster speeds for data. Also doesn't get interference or drop outs that happen a lot with blue tooth.

Reply to
Steve W.