What decent computer scanner to buy?

My Mazda dealer wants something like 4130 to just hook up the OBDEC scanner to see why my check engine light is on!!

I've decided I can BUY a scanner just as cheap

The thing is... what reasonable priced consumer level scanner to buy? What brand and model?

Have 2000 Mazda Protege ES

Reply to
me

I can't answer your direct question but in case you are not aware... You can take your car by a lot of auto parts stores now and they will check the codes for you for free.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Four thousand dollars?

Yes, a good scan tool costs about $4000.00

Was the above a typo? $130 perhaps? You can't get anything but a tinker toy for $130...

AutoEnginuity has a pretty good enhanced Mazda scan tool program for a PC/laptop for $350.00

aarcuda69062

I have about twelve years of Mazda experience, and do not understand "4130". This cannot be dollars. Is it shillings, perhaps? In any case, a reasonable tester can be obtained from any tool vendor. The 2000 Protege was pre-CAN, and so a basic OBDII tester will work just fine.

I have a generic tester from OEM that cost $100. It works fine on PCM codes up to and including 2007. The technology is amazing. I am willing to bet that there are even cheaper testers out there.

If you are able to pull the code(s), I would be happy to share what the definition is. I might even know common fixes, depending on your personal mechanical abilities.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Yes it was typo

was supposed to be $130

Reply to
me

I own and use a Velocity Micro ProMagix desktop computer, for some thingys WebTV can not do.

I prefer my WebTV service though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

So?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Add equal parts Dip and Shit; mix until the answer becomes clear.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

If you're just looking to read and reset codes, there are a lot of options for code readers well under $100 that work just fine. Harbor Freight has several that are perfectly useable. If you want a true "scanner" that does more than read and reset codes then the cost is much higher of course.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
Woody

the author didnt shift the '4' key (shifted 4 is $ sign), so the price is $130.00 USD :)

Regards, Calder.

Reply to
calder.cay