2000 Mazda Protege ES :Check engine light came on

Today, for very first time ever, the heck engine light came on in my 2000 Mazda Protege ES with 115k mile on it.

It doesn't seem to being running rough or anything. matter of fact I cant tell ANY diff in the performance.

I've checked all the fluids and they seem OK.

Any advice on what it might be before I take it to the dealer and they scalp me?

I want to add that last summer I had the timing belt, tensioners, and water pump changed and a tune up as well

Reply to
me

Make sure your gas cap is tight.

Reply to
M.M.

Take it to Autozone or another store and ask them to read the code. Its free.

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Reply to
Pauly

None whatsoever. That light means that there is a code message from the computer. Until you know what that code is, you have no idea what the problem is. It could be trivial, it could be catastrophic, it's all the same unless you have a code reader.

Some auto parts stores will loan you a code reader for free so you can see what the code is. Then at least you'll be able to ask the right questions.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey