Noisy Hubcaps!!!

OK, I'm at a loss here-the hubcaps on my '96 F250 XLT 4x4 w/factory aluminum wheels (looks like the Budd wheels on a big rig) are really noisy, kindof like a cataa catta catta when traveling down the road. The caps, both front & rear seem to be loose but are not. No broken clips on them, either. There is nothing rattleing around inside of them, either. This is not speed related as it happen as soon as the wheel rotates. Short of laying a bead of silicone around them, which I really don't want to do, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! Jay

Reply to
bajazza

4-5 locations of 1-inch wide duct tape has done wonders for me. s
Reply to
sdlomi2

loss here-the hubcaps on my '96 F250 XLT 4x4 w/factory

Could you elaborate? Thanks, Jay

Reply to
bajazza

A little pebble in a hub cap makes a nice sound. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Is the noise coming from all wheels? Does the noise disappear if the caps are removed and the truck driven?

Not sure what you mean here. If they appear visually loose then there is a good chance that is the source of the noise.

If it wasn't speed related it would be happening while the truck was sitting still.

Reply to
John S.

Yes, they're currently off of the truck and no noises at al..

They 'feel' loose on the wheel, like they haven't grabbed the wheel with the clips tightly

Good one, ya got me on that! I meant that the sound does not change when I drive it faster, at least not as far as I can tell.

Reply to
bajazza

I suspect that is your problem. Find a way to expand the clips or springs or whatever holds ithem in place.

Reply to
John S.