what is the physics of car body tilt a little bit when turning?

What is the term used to describe the phenomenon of a car body tilts a little bit toward motion is moving at when turning such as switching lanes?

I'm trying to learn about this for insurance reason.

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
spamfreeliu

ttle bit toward motion is moving at when turning such as switching lanes?

body roll?

m6onz5a

Google,,, body roll precession. I am sure there is a technical word/term for that, but I don't know what it is.

Reply to
JR

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Sounds like "yaw" and "roll" together..

Imagine three rotational axes intersecting in the center of the car's mass, as represented by lines:

1) an up-and-down line running from pavement to sky, 2) a horizontal line running from one side of the car to the other 3) a horizontal line running from front bumper to rear bumper.

"Rotation" means the sort of movement you get when you work a hinge.

Rotation about line #1 = YAW Rotation about line #2 = PITCH Rotation about line #3 = ROLL

The same terms are used in aeronautics.

Reply to
Tegger

Yawll ?

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

hachiroku wrote in news:500b0463$0$45194$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Hey, Hachi! It's goin' just fine, but at a lower decibel level than before. Still posting to the Toyota group?

Reply to
Tegger

Paul in Houston TX wrote in news:juevhp$h9k$1@dont- email.me:

Texas cop: How'd y'all manage to end up in the ditch? Texas motorist: The car done yawlled, suh.

Reply to
Tegger

Thank you all for the help. Body roll is the term!!!

Reply to
spamfreeliu

bit toward motion is moving at when turning such as switching lanes?

ugh, wikipedia bombs out on that one.

anyway, i can't remember the titles at this moment, but there are some good suspension books out there that explain this stuff, particularly the amount of roll and how it's related to the degrees of freedom the suspension provides. e.g., wishbone provides one more degree of freedom than macpherson, and thus is more prone to it - about the only mechanical advantage macpherson can claim.

Reply to
jim beam