What is the realistic accuracy & precision of typical consumer MPG calculations (tripmeter miles/pump gallons)

No, because the speed doubling takes only half the time, but 4 time the power. Not necessarilly 4 times the fuel, because the engine may be "on the cam" at the higher speed, running more efficiently.

An example of this was the 1975 Toyota Celica GT. With the 1975 gearing, it was actually most efficient at 80MPH in 5th, as long as you didn't have to change speed or pass anyone. (I got 52MPG at just over 80mph from Waterloo to Kingston Ontario at 2am on a Sunday morning back in 1979-ish.

Didn't work on the 1976 model - same body (and engine) but different gearing

Reply to
clare

What was the lowest speed you could use 5th gear in the 75 car?

Reply to
rickman

Can't remember for sure, but it was a DOG at 60mph - requiresd a downshift to get anywhere. I think hey geared the 75 GT the same as the 4 speed. I know I was shocked by the mileage on that trip - going out to Kingston to pit crew for Taisto Heinonnen, "The Flying Fynn" and Tom Burgess on the Twin Lakes Rally. Crewsd for him on the Tall Pines and the Blossom too.

I was offered his backup Celica Team car in 1980 when we finished rallying in the navigational rallye series (After finishing 1st, second and third in 3 years we were no longer elligible) and our R12 was not adequate to run competetively in the performance series but I decided to quit while I was ahead, since I was getting married.

Reply to
clare

I had the misfortune to own a '71 Audi when the 55 mph national speed limit went into effect. The German engineers thought 55 was a very brief period on your way to cruising speed not a speed you'd try to drive.

Reply to
rbowman

As it goes, if you want the best gas milage, you should always get into the highest gear as early as possible. You can shift into top gear at almost any speed. Well, I wouldn't do it below 25 MPH.

Reply to
dsi1