20+ MPG? What!

All -

I have a 01' GT coupe (auto trans). I was recently reading a thread that was discussing expected MPG for the V8 vs V6. I was surprised to see most people were reporting averages over 20 mpg for their V8.

I calculate my mpg each time I fill my tank. I have never reached over

16-17 mpg. I split most of my mileage about 50/50 between city and highway driving and consider my driving style conservative enough not to make this much of a difference.

Any thoughts?? Are their any upgrades that will make my car this much more efficient?

thanks! Brian

Reply to
Brian Ober

Sounds low to me. I do 50/50 and I get 19-20 on every tank on my 02 GT. And I love to hear my engine rev, I'm don't baby the gas pedal. I got

25 on a highway trip the other day.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Exactly! Any thoughts as to what I need to have checked out?

Reply to
Brian Ober

Isn't it under warranty? Why not complain to the dealer. Complaining is free.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

go you live in california where we have crap gas? that's one reason your mileage would be beneath the rest of the world's

Reply to
vince garcia

Try measuring your mileage on a long trip. City driving is very variable and is very dependent on driving style.

My 331 gets 10 to 12 in city/country driving and for a car like this I consider my driving style pretty conservative. Of course my granny would think I'm a hot rod.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Just filled up and checked mileage this morning. I got 21mpg with about 70% city/30%hwy driving. The only change so far to my 03 GT (5spd. vert) is the exhaust.

Reply to
Tony Milicia

Yep. EPA milage figures are done on test grade gasoline. Much better than what is bought in areas with the various RFG requirements.

At one time someone I know online had a mustang GT nearly indentical to mine. She lives in missouri and got considerably better milage. I could only conclude it was the gasoline.

Reply to
Brent P

This discussion of MPG is intersting, but I must question the accuracy of everyone's MPG measurements. Is everyone measuring accurately? How about driving style and conditions? One person's view of "highway" driving may be another person's view of "city" driving. I use a certain highway everyday that has traffic lights every 1/4 mile or so... it's a 55 mph "highway", but the stop and go will kill mileage... this may even be worse than slower stop and go.... etc. Also, how about driving style? Some people driving with a very heavy foot and consider that being "easy"... to them, "getting on it" means all-out drag-racing. In sum, I would not get too worked up if one person states they are getting 21 mpg and you are only getting 18 mpg or whatever. Chances are the cars are running in an identical fashion and get identical mileage. What about auto trannies verses manual trannies?... another big factor. How is one shifting? How about hills, wind, etc? How accurate are the gas pump gauges? In my opinion, here's one way of really getting a serious MPG measurement for comparison... take your car cross country and back... drive at a steady 70 mph the whole time. Record the amount of fuel you put in, and mileage driven, etc. Then, after traveling about 6,000 miles, do the calculation. This will be a VERY accurate measurement. I have done this with one particular car three times, and my calculation came out almost exactly the same each time... a `96 Monte Carlo,

3.1, V-6... at 75 mph all day long for 6,000 miles, got about 31.5 mpg. If and when I take the Stang cross country, I'll let you know what I get. "City driving" is so ambiguous that this could never be used for a mileage comparison in my opinion. If all these cars are running in tip-top shape, they should ultimately perform the same.
Reply to
GT-Vert-03

Not for me; I've always gotten around 27 mpg. using the RFG sold here in CA.

A drivetrain using synthetic lubricants, proper tire inflation and conservative driving habits all contribute to an enviable mileage figure. The

3.27 rear, 5-sp. and ASP pullies help a bit too.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Reply to
JD Adams

My '86 runs about 28 mpg Highway (averaged over a 1000 mile trip, Eastern Texas, no hills, 80mph) and 20 mpg city (Baton Rouge, again flat) Original

5.0L engine with 110,000 miles on it with a manual T-5 and 2.73 rear. Holding off on replacing the engine with a '95 GT-40 rebuild in the shop because of the mileage I am getting, nothing wrong with the 17 year old engine. Holding off on the 3.55 rear for the same reason. Gas pump guages are veerified/calibrated by the state each year, hence the sticker.

Erich,

Reply to
eweinfur

OK, I'll take a shot.

How many miles on your spark plugs? I have seen a spark plug change improve gas mileage back to normal. Not on a Mustang, but on other vehicles.

Any smell of gasoline? Stick your nose in the hood. Smell anything like gas or solvent?

Your brake pads could be dragging. Any noises? Coast alongside a concrete wall and listen for the sh-sh-sh of dragging pads.

Do you have any history on your mileage? Was it 20 mpg 2 years ago? Was it always like this?

How many miles do you have on your 01? Is your air filter clogged?

What is your mileage on the highway? Gas her up and drive 70 mph for a couple hundred miles and report back.

Doing my best here.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

On a trip back from Florida last year my friend was able to get 28 mpg in his '00 GT. It was an all stock except flowmasters, 5 speed coupe with 3.27's. On that same trip I got a hair over 24 mpg with my 331 and

3.73's, I drive a little more aggresive than my friend does too. Erik D. '94 white lightn> All -
Reply to
Erik D.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Ya know, from this thread it's apprent to me that those with a manual tranmission get great mileage, while the PRNDL-crowd does considerably worse. I too get around 27 using a 5-sp. and 3.27 gearing, which is a very nice combination for the street.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Reply to
JD Adams

Well, not the same motor but I routinely get 21-24 mpg in my '95 GT. I used to get 29.999999 etc. on a common highway trip I would take. Of course mine is a 5 speed coupe. 16-17 does seem a bit low.

Sam(uel) '95 GT not stock anymore

Modless Wonder #1)

Reply to
Marauder302