WTF New Tundra's showing a boatload of miles on the tripmeter but not the odometer???

My wife and I bought a new 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crewmax Limited two weeks ago. When we drove it off the lot it was showing 12 miles on the odometer. It's a beautiful truck, no doubt about it.

Yesterday, for the first time, I pressed the trip meter button and... GOTCHA!... the tripmeter's showing 4800 miles!

What's going on? We've only driven the truck 440 miles since buying it. Do these things ship from the factory with a bunch of miles showing on the tripmeter, but not the odometer? Why would they do that?

Or... did the bastards roll back the odometer (but forget to reset the tripmeter) and sell me a used truck as new? It did have a 4" dent in the front passenger door when we bought it. They told me it happened when it came off the car carrier. I let them fix it and didn't raise a fuss about it. But now I'm thinking maybe I should have.

Finally, what should I do now? Should I go back and raise holy Hell about it and demand a new truck, contact the state attorney general's office and complain that the dealership defrauded us, what?

F**K!!!

Reply to
Lemonhead

Give them an opportunity to make it right. Whatever you do, don't reset the trip meter.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

car fax the trucks vin # if the numbers dont match bring it to the lot and make a fuss

Reply to
mudmonkey

Are you sure that its not 480.00 My trip meter shows in 0.1 increments.

If it was a ex demo theres ways of zeroing the speedo within the first

200miles I think, they may have done that twince so far to keep it "New".
Reply to
Scotty

As has been said, don't reset it and maybe even take some photos of it with a date and timestamp (both odometer and trip meter).

I'd be real interested to hear their explanation. Running a CarFax as suggested also isn't a bad idea.

Post back.

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

Car Fux is not a reliable source. The Car Fux report on a car I was considering buying give it a clean bill of health. WRONG! Had been in an accident with major damage. Guess that one slipped by....

[...]

: > F**K!!! : : : As has been said, don't reset it and maybe even take some photos of it with : a date and timestamp (both odometer and trip meter). : : I'd be real interested to hear their explanation. Running a CarFax as : suggested also isn't a bad idea. : : Post back. : : : Stew : :

Reply to
Fuller Rath

Check your DMV paperwork. By Law (in the US at least), an accurate odometer reading must be filled in or a "damn good" excuse why it was not.

Since this is a new car, is this your first car with a digital Odometer? Are you sure you can't read the decimal point? Does you truck have an "A" and "B" Trip-odometer?

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Did anyone notice that OP never replied?

It was either a troll, or an embarrassing case of misreading the meter.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Or just maybe someone that doesn't read the newsgroup everyday.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

Understood, but it's been over a week.

Reply to