What paperwork is required in CA for an out-of-state vehicle traffic stop?

I searched all over the California DMV web site and I can't find the requirements for what paperwork is required during a traffic stop when you're driving an out-of-state vehicle in California.

I'm pretty sure they require both registration and insurance paperwork but I can't actually find anywhere on the CA DMV site where it actually says that for an out-of-state vehicle (and we all know CA laws are whacky

- so who knows 'what' they require)?

Any ideas?

Reply to
AZ

what else is there besides a valid license?

Reply to
m6onz5a

I do not know but when transporting a car from Arkansas to WI, I was cited in Illinois for no valid plate, no insurance. I quoted the Constitution (Art. IV) on a phone call to the DA a week later who agreed and dropped the citation.

Illinois requires that you own the plate, then attach it to the vehicle at time of sale. Wisconsin allows ten days to transfer title and arrange plates. I did have the receipt and signed title with me.

That said, I would never argue with a cop at a traffic stop. Be polite, accept the paper and fight it later.

Reply to
AMuzi

The requirements aren't really for a traffic stop, they're for when your wheels touch a road in the state. (I've seen off-road bikes get tickets on utility roads out in the middle of nowhere - one time, I was the only one who didn't get a ticket on my street legal dp bike.)

See "Mandatory requirements" This is linked to from
which also links to
You can ask the dmv guy at
but he doesn't always answer. The best thing is to ask the dmv in writing, but even then you might get bureaucratic intransigency. jg

Reply to
jgar the jorrible

Same as any POV anywhere in the US; license, registration, proof of insurance.

I don't know what would lead you to believe anything else. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Same as every other state. Registration (or transfer paperwork W/copy of title, receipt of purchase), Proof of insurance (if the state it's registered in requires insurance), Proof of vehicle inspection (if the registration state requires it), Valid drivers license.

Reply to
Steve W.

Well, here in Virginia you don't need proof of insurance. It helps to be white, though.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yep I got a Va. tag back in the 80's to avoid Md. inspection for a year on my first car.

Reply to
m6onz5a

In California, I think a Grant or two is almost mandatory. Maybe I'm confusing that with Texas.

Reply to
Cha ching

Larry Sheldon

Wow, that really puts some context to those Escondido Driving While Mexican stops.

jg

Reply to
jgar the jorrible

yeah, people think that VA is more strict because they have annual inspections, but I pass VA inspection every time... I don't know anyone that's passed the one-time MD inspection the first time.

I thought I would be smart once and left a frozen prop valve on a car that I'd bought when I took it in for inspection. That would give the inspector something to catch, and it was something that I was going to fix anyway because it was an obvious safety issue.

The inspector didn't flag the prop valve, but *did* fail my windshield for being "too sandblasted." I didn't fight him on it though because it was leaking, so I just busted it out myself, POR-15'd the lip, then had the glass guy come and glue a new one in for me. Since I was in the groove I R&R'd the rear hatch window and painted that area as well (was an A2 chassis 16V GTI with the black sticker around the hatch window, the sticker was all sun damaged and cracked so I took it off and spray bombed the area flat black, nobody ever noticed! Actually looked pretty good if I say so myself.)

That car I've had more glass out than an other; after I'd sold it some kids busted out one of the side windows and I ended up replacing it for the new owner because she didn't know how to DIY and the shop she took it to quoted something exorbitant to do the job...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

yeah Maryland has a strict inspection,but you only have to do it once. My last two cars went right though inspection. (it helps to know someone)

chas

Reply to
m6onz5a

The reason I asked is that a friend lent me his Arizona car and he has a valid registration sticker but he didn't have the registration paperwork.

He says I don't need it because in AZ they don't need it.

So, that's why I need to know because it's registered but I don't have the registration paperwork. He said he'd have to ask the DMV but he said I should just use it without that.

Reply to
AZ

Is the out-of-state tag on the plate good enough?

Reply to
AZ

Is the tag the ONLY thing they give you? If there is paperwork that goes with the tag they will want the paperwork.

Reply to
Steve W.

You do indeed need it in Arizona. Says so right on the registration slip.

If you need a duplicate you can get it online from servicearizona.com for a few bucks.

Back in the old days it had to be visible from outside the vehicle. Anyone remember those registration holders that had springs to hold it to the steering column?

Reply to
MM

I was just thinking about that. Or the one on the visor when you could no longer get to the steering column.

Reply to
Larry Sheldon