What's your take on a weights on tire

On a ideal world, the wheel would have as minimal weights as possible but the tire so balanced, there would not even be a shimmy at high speeds.

Just got my tires balances and on the front on the wheel, there must have been at least 8 sticker weights on each of my wheels. Seems unusally high .......

Is this common ?

Reply to
John Soto

"John Soto" wrote

Probably, by now....you have figured out that we don't live in an ideal world. But I will say...that the tire that seems to need to least amount of weight....comes from Michelin. Not a scientific study, just my observations over the years.

Depends....how much does each "sticker" weight weigh? If it's like most stick on weights that I've seen....1/4 ounce. If so...that's not an uncommon amount of weight needed to balance a tire.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

What brand, model and size tire did you get?

--------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Bllizzak LM-22

255/55/28
Reply to
John Soto

And is there a prominent colored marker [usually a dot] on the side of the tire that is *not* mounted either next to, or exactly opposite to, the valve stem?

That is a lot of weight, very likely a tire that is misaligned within the tread.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

They use a multi-part mold that results in a rounder, more balanced, tire.

Not that I like them. Michelins always suck in anything but dry weather.

Reply to
Jimmy

Perhaps. Michelin still does it better. I've seen out of round Pirellis. I haven't seen out of round Mich's. Keep in mind I don't really like them, so I'm not preaching, just observing.

I think you'd find your opinion in the minority on the Mich's. Typically wear forever, but always too hard IMHO.

On the Pirelli - my P7000SS were without a doubt the best tire I ever drove in the rain. Then they wore for about 5K miles and became the noisiest tire I ever drove on short of a snow tire.

Bush/Cheney ?

Reply to
Jimmy

Many Pirelli out of round diagnoses are actually just their nylon ply wrap belts flat spotting when cold.

Well, In My Non Humble Opinion, you are wrong and as far as the minority, the surveys at Tire Rack seem to note that there are some Michelins with very good wet traction.

The CN36 was an excellent performance tire, but the current Scorpions are better.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Perhaps. Mine were out of round :-)

Perhaps. Or perhaps people buying them just spend so much on them they can't admit how bad they suck :-)

Actually, I'm sure they do have some that don't suck. But, I've had my fill of testing to find out.

Not really my category of tire. I don't know if I'd try another HP Pirelli after the noise issues and high wear rate of the P7000. I'm into Conti Extreme Contacts now. We'll see how they are after 10K miles. You can't beat them on a per dollar basis. They're so cheap I was almost afraid to buy them.

Reply to
Jimmy