Whats the fastest accel car I can get for 50K?

What's the fastest vehicle I can get for $50,000? It doesn't have to be brand new, but I'd like it to be less than 3 years old and still with some warrantee.

I was considering a corvette Z6 which does 0-60 in 4.2 secs, a used one I could get for much less than that price. But what I want is something that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds (which will match the Chiiler Ride at Six Flags, btw). Not interested in something modded that will only blow up after a while, its got to be a daily driver.

Thanks for any fast tips!

DeanB

Reply to
Dean

Suzuki Hayabusa 0 to 60 1.592. Stock

see:

Reply to
Steve Walker

A car, please!

Reply to
Dean

"Dean" wrote

Well, you did say...

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Hmm, $50,000 is only 36764 euros, so not enough for a Mitsubishi Evo. And anyway the really powerful versions (360HP, 400HP) were only sold in Japan and the UK, I think (no versions with the steering wheel in the left side ?)

You don't ask for much, do you ?

Depending on your definition of "daily driver", a Lotus Exige S (it is the one with a compressor) might be interesting, but it is not quite at that level of performance. And it is more expensive.

And still stretching the definition of "daily driver", an Ariel Atom with compressor (300 HP for less than 500 kg), but I think that is not a current model:

Actually you can get that engine in a car. Let me google...

Found it: The Caterham Super 7 GSX1300R "Hayabusa"

This is a current production car based in the old Lotus 7 (but I think suspension, etc. have all been improved compared to the original).

Reply to
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

"Hayabusa"

Thanks for rhe links. The only Lotus I ever liked was the Esprit Turbo, now that was a nice looking car and fast too.

Yeah a bunch of my friends at college used to foam over those Caterams, they do seem fast enough. I should probably change my requirements to

Reply to
Dean

You want a daily driver that will perform like this? Over the longer term this kind of performance comes at a price....durability is often part of what you have to concede. Maintenance and repair can also eat you alive.

I owned a car like this at one time, and rued the day I bought it.. I hope you have better luck, or perhaps revise your expectations.

Reply to
<HLS

Do you just want to go fast, or do you want to actually be able to turn?

How about a Dinan-modified BMW M-3? It's not only fast, it actually feels like a real car.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Just fast acceleration in a straight line.

Reply to
Dean

Go with the Corvette, then. It looks cool, it goes fast in a straight line. Doesn't handle worth a damn and it's like driving a truck, but it's a lot of acceleration for the dollar.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Daily driver? Buy a 2 year old Vette and take your change over to a tuner like Lingenfelter.

The reality is if you're looking for max accel in a new/slightly used car sans mods for under $50,000 US, you're looking in the Viper/Vette category, and that's 0-60 in around 4 - 4.5 seconds.

To go faster with a warranty gets expensive real fast.

To go faster without a warranty... gets expensive in blown parts real fast. ;)

If you're just looking for 0-60 in the three second range, I suggest an

02 Camaro/Firebird for "cheap" ($15,000) and a 500-600hp engine upgrade ($10,000) with either a blower or nitrous on top of that. Upgrade the diff and clutch, and you can run 10 second quarter mile times all day long.

fwiw, my summer daily driver is an 01 Trans Am sporting nitrous and

12.18@112 mph in the quarter mile, but I've cooked the stock clutch. That's a mid 4 second 0-60 time.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

No kidding. About the most reliable cars that come close to that level of stupid-fastH^H^H^H^H^ performance would be a Viper or a 'Vette, and both of them are more maintenance-intensive than a Charger or a Monte Carlo, too. And to get below 50k, it would have to be a hard-used Viper or Vette to boot....

Reply to
Steve

Was the last Corvette you drove a 1984 C4, because that's what you're describing. Not the current C6!

Reply to
Steve

Look at the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. The high end model is only about $37K US. Stock they do 0-60 in about 4.2 seconds. Throw a few performance mods on them and you could probably get it down to 3.5 seconds and still stay under your $50K mark. (The WRX STI gets similar performance for the price, but in my opinion it's an uglier car) If you can hold out then wait for the 2008 Evolution X slated for release in January of next year. They look better then the current models and will be a little quicker from the factory. (I've seen estimates around

3.9)

My father just purchased a Lotus Elise, which is rated at 4.2 seconds. While it is a fast car it's completely impractical. You have to contort yourself just to get in and out of it, and the trunk is maybe big enough to hold a medium sized duffel bag. It's a toy, not a "daily driver".

The Corvette is an old mans car. I have no idea how old you are, but unless you're 50+ and want to look like every other middle aged guy going through a mid-life crisis I'd avoid getting a vette.

Dan

Reply to
Dan203