1982 fiat trans ?

My friend recently purchased a 1982 fiat 2000 spider and it pops out of first gear badly.you can't even hold it in first gear.I have never been inside of this trans before but my guess would be the sunchro/ blocker ring assembly. If it was the shift shaft wouldn't it have a problem in at least 1 other gear?

Reply to
shlbsnake

That would seem a good guess. The GOOD news is that this transmission is actually pretty easy to drop. The bad news is that it's kind of cheesy inside.

I'd try draining it and putting in one of the synthetic gear oils with very high solvent properties in there, and see if the synchronizer frees up, before you drop the thing. The Royal Purple stuff isn't bad, and will remove all kinds of varnish and trash.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

When I was at Fort Hood in 1965,I bought a 1961 VW van at Steakly Chevrolet in Killeen.Not long after I bought the van,it started popping out of second gear.A guy who worked on American and Foreign cars at a shop in Killeen said the second gear synchronizer ring was worn out.Once I got used to it,I knew when it was about to pop out of gear and I would hold down on the gear shift.It got to where I could drive that van anywhere and keep it from popping out of gear.Later on,when I came home on a three day leave,I bought a nice 1963 VW beetle car for $1,100.00 and then I sold my VW van. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin