How far can I lower my 01 convertible Cobra?

I have an '01 convertible Cobra. I recently installed a set of Borla Stinger cat-backs which make it sound great; now I'm looking to reduce the ride height to try to get rid of the 'off road' look it currently has.

My local SVT dealer said that the Eibach springs, although rated at

1.3", were only really a little over 1" when installed.

Are there any alternatives? I'm aware that the IRS and the body strengthening struts limit the drop available, but I saw an 01 convertible cobra today that had been dropped and looked great. Perhaps I should have left a note on his windshield!

I also have the old exhaust system if anyone wants it - near perfect condition. 20,000 miles and only driven in the rain a handful of times.

J.

Reply to
Jens Ratsey

If you're only concerned about looks, why did you buy the Cobra? Dropping that baby is going to affect it's performance, especially on curves. Running it on straight-aways with all their inherent dips and bumps is just asking for a bottom-end wipeout.

If looks and sound are your criteria, you should have gotten the V-6. Wasting a Cobra just isn't very smart.

doc

Reply to
doc

Why do people have to be so negative??? Just block sender on these types, like I do. This group is much more enjoyable to read when you don't see this crap every day.

Now back to our regularly scheduled news group...

A 1" to 1.5" drop with the proper springs wll not only improve the looks, it will also improve the ride and handling. Check out pictures of other owners cars on an HTML forum, like

or others, and check their sigs or PM them for info on what springs they used.

Reply to
WraithCobra

I would not drop it more than the 1". If you go beyond that you will get suspension geometry issues. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Another interesting item comes up if the car is dropped too much...the jack won't fit under the car at the front when a flat's gotta be relaced. Lesson learned with my '00 GT and 'F' springs when it had 17" wheels.

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

Mike,

I _think_ doc's point was not to drop the car more than the Eibach's springs 1-1.3 inches. Again, I think that was his point.

Not sure why he criticized the exhaust mod though.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
Patrick

I'm not sure I did, but that's okay. I'm just amazed that someone would care more about looks on a performance car than they do about performance, especially when the looks can subtract from the performance. What was the point?

To me, having a balls-out car is more important than something that looks cool but can't do the job. I'd spend my money on more performance rather than rice.

Just my opinion, of course.

doc

Reply to
doc

Doc -

I had passed you off as a troll and not replied; for that I apoligise.

The performance of the car is important to me, but since the car is not a daily driver and I don't race it, I see no reason to try to improve the performance. To me, it certainly isn't a 'balls-out car' anyway - yes, I bought the car because I couldn't beat the power-price factor, but it's far less powerful than other cars I have driven.

I digress. It can do the job - and it does that job admirably. That job being taking me on short enjoyable rides and enjoying a little acceleration occasionally. However, the sound had always disappointed me as does the ride height. Even my wife commented that it didn't sound like she expected. I fixed the sound with the Borlas and now want to do something about the ride height.

I posted here for advice. I got advice in as much as I shouldn't lower more than the Eibach springs. For that I'm grateful.

What I'm not grateful for are your snide comments. I'll do what I like to my car, thank you: if dropping the car an inch or more should knock a few tenths of its 0-60 performance I really couldn't care.

Perhaps at my age I'm interested less in impressing Joe Riceboy in his Honda Civic with his bolt on Folgers exhaust and neons and more in enjoying driving my car.

To each his own.

J.

Reply to
Jens Ratsey

That's an attitude I can get behind. It's your car, your money, and your desires. Do whatever makes you happy, who cares what the underlying reason or motivation is. If you're happy, cool.

Reply to
boB

You could really make that car quite a bit quicker and more fun to drive with some gears. I don't know a/b lowering... never did it... and only reason I would is for suspension upgrades.. but think a/b some gears.. they

*help* a *lot* :).

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires

performance,

Reply to
<memset

You can drop that sumbitch clear to the ground. You'll f*ck it up if you do and you'll never be able to drive it again but if you want to ruin a great suspension, it's YOUR car bub!

Reply to
SVTKate

did you block me yet? you'll miss me!

*grin*

I agree with you on the drop. I believe that mine has been dropped about 1". I didn't do it, but she has a lower stance than others I have seen, even with the larger wheels & tires. Personally, I like the way it looks and handles. But SLAMMING a car... (yea I know he didnt say he was going to) is an abomination.

Kate

| >> My local SVT dealer said that the Eibach springs, although rated at | >> 1.3", were only really a little over 1" when installed. | >>

| >> Are there any alternatives? I'm aware that the IRS and the body | >> strengthening struts limit the drop available, but I saw an 01 | >> convertible cobra today that had been dropped and looked great. | >> Perhaps I should have left a note on his windshield! | >

| > If you're only concerned about looks, why did you buy the Cobra? | > Dropping that baby is going to affect it's performance, especially on | > curves. Running it on straight-aways with all their inherent dips and | > bumps is just asking for a bottom-end wipeout. | >

| > If looks and sound are your criteria, you should have gotten the V-6. | > Wasting a Cobra just isn't very smart. | >

| > doc | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Well Bub... you have to have a sense of humor if you're going to run with THIS group. If you take these guys (even me) too seriously, then you will be missing out on a lot of tongue in cheek humor. Just look out for a couple of them that will try to put THEIR tongue in YOUR cheek!

Kate

| > To me, having a balls-out car is more important than something that looks | > cool but can't do the job. I'd spend my money on more performance rather | > than rice. | >

| > Just my opinion, of course. | >

| > doc | | Doc - | | I had passed you off as a troll and not replied; for that I apoligise. | | The performance of the car is important to me, but since the car is | not a daily driver and I don't race it, I see no reason to try to | improve the performance. To me, it certainly isn't a 'balls-out car' | anyway - yes, I bought the car because I couldn't beat the power-price | factor, but it's far less powerful than other cars I have driven. | | I digress. It can do the job - and it does that job admirably. That | job being taking me on short enjoyable rides and enjoying a little | acceleration occasionally. However, the sound had always disappointed | me as does the ride height. Even my wife commented that it didn't | sound like she expected. I fixed the sound with the Borlas and now | want to do something about the ride height. | | I posted here for advice. I got advice in as much as I shouldn't | lower more than the Eibach springs. For that I'm grateful. | | What I'm not grateful for are your snide comments. I'll do what I | like to my car, thank you: if dropping the car an inch or more should | knock a few tenths of its 0-60 performance I really couldn't care. | | Perhaps at my age I'm interested less in impressing Joe Riceboy in his | Honda Civic with his bolt on Folgers exhaust and neons and more in | enjoying driving my car. | | To each his own. | | J.

Reply to
SVTKate

Oh HELL YEA! The jack will NOT fit under MY F*ing car!

And... just try to drive it over even the teensiest little speed bump in a parking lot. It's not happening.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Like hell you do; the troll-apology is just a set-up for your cutsie "snide remark" comment later.

I offered an opinion and that's all. Maybe I'm wrong about what it means to be an American, but I always thought we could state our own opinions without getting this "troll" crap.

If you don't want disagreement, then email fidelcastro.com and ask for a privileged seat on his censorship council. You could be chairman.

doc

Reply to
doc