Where do we get dealer's true cost (invoice?) for a Honda Accord or CRV?

Where can I get the dealer's true cost for a Honda Accord or CRV?

I went to Edmunds but they only have something called "true value", which is not the dealer cost but what people (somehow told them they) paid.

I googled and found tons of car salesmen who would give me car quotes by email if I gave them all my personal information.

But, I just anonymously want to find the dealer cost?

Does a website exist which will show us dealer cost?

Reply to
Judy Zappacosta

Judy Zappacosta wrote

It isnt possible in the ultimate, because the rebate a particular dealer gets from the manufacturer varys considerably, particularly with how they finance the cars they have on the floor etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The auto dealerships have high overhead costs.They have to make a profit. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

But what's the closest we can get?

I am hoping to get closer than to 'value' pricing at Edmunds:

Is there a way to get factory invoice at least?

Reply to
Judy Zappacosta

Judy Zappacosta wrote

Not very close at all, essentially because factory invoice even if you could get that isnt very useful at all, because its the rebate that matters.

They'd make it available if it was feasible.

It wouldnt be much use even if it was available.

Reply to
Rod Speed

good luck. dealers go to great lengths to hide that info. "dealer invoice" is a fiction designed to assist in this deception.

Reply to
jim beam

A car generally is a big purchase, but other ongoing expenses add up as well. I wonder if the original poster investigates the "dealer" cost for groceries, or electricity, or housing before eating, turning on the lights, or settling on a place to live?

Reply to
Lou

Thats obvious.

they paid for an item typically. So if they

Not with high value items like cars they dont.

I did once overhear the salesman ask his manager what price he could offer me on a large top loading washing machine when he said what their purchase price was, I was shocked at how low the margin was, single digit percentage of the retail price.

If they can't cover their costs and

Yes, but they dont need to charge twice what they paid with high value items like cars.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Judy Zappacosta wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net:

What does it matter? Just get on-the-road quotes from a few dealerships in your area. Pick the lowest one. End of story.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote

It does tell you the price they wont go below unless they are in a very desperate situation financially and need to avoid going broke etc.

Fraid not.

Reply to
Rod Speed

dealer cost is intentially obscured by a lot of manufacturer specials givebacks and advertising sharing.

Reply to
a real cheapskate

Judy Zappacosta wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net:

Most invoice prices I have checked in the past run pretty close to 10% less than the list price for many car makes.

Reply to
Jeff

a real cheapskate wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

The point is that there will be a price below which they will simply refuse to sell to you because they know somebody else will come along and pay above that amount. That's why this "dealer cost" thing is useless. The only useful thing is determining which dealer will give you the lowest on-the-road quote. Therefore, you get on-the-road quotes and pick the lowest one.

Then you spend the better part of an hour in purgatory while the salesman and his manager try their very best to high-pressure you into caving-in and signing for a higher price than they quoted.

Your only weapon is the threat of walking out. You must be -- and explicitly appear to be -- completely unafraid of using that weapon.

The manager won't sign for your price? Then your asking price is too low. End of story.

Reply to
Tegger

a real cheapskate wrote

What I said elsewhere in different words.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Its never that mindlessly black and white.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If any car salesman says he can't authorize the deal, without going to his manager, I walk. One time, I had a salesman tell me he had to speak to his manager first. I could see his reflection, and pretty much the whole room, in a mirror while he was in the back room "talking with his manager." No one else was in the room - he was watching TV for a bit, while we were supposed to mull over his coming counter-offer. When he came back out and said the deal was rejected, I left.

Reply to
MAS

What I do is go to Car Bargains (checkbook.com) and get five iron-clad faxed legal-contract quotes for how much they'll accept over dealer cost.

Then, I walk into any dealership during Monday-thru-Friday business hours (the Fleet Manager doesn't work on weekends generally) and I hand the fleet manager the lowest quote (even if it isn't from his dealership).

Say I had the five faxed quotes of:

- $400

- $600

- $600

- $800

- $1,000

And, say, the dealership I went to was in the 800-dollar range. That fleet manager KNOWS that I can drive a bit to go to the 400-dollar dealership, since these are all legal contracts, and he KNOWS I'm serious 'cuz I wouldn't have gone to car bargains if I wasn't.

So, in five minutes, I walk out with the car.

WHy would anyone spend an hour haggling with a salesman? The only reason for salesmen is for test driving to figure out which car you like. You buy the car from the fleet manager who doesn't want to spend more than five minutes concluding the deal and signing the paperwork.

Reply to
D. Ohl

"Rod Speed" wrote in news:87ikv6F4rgU1 @mid.individual.net:

"Mindless"? Try sitting in the salesman's office for an hour while he and his manager play vicious mind-games with you. "Mindless", my ass.

It takes, and I speak from personal experience, considerable personal fortitude, savvy, and grit to tough-out the warfare wreaked upon the humble buyer in the average new-car dealership.

My way is the /only/ way. Unless you're a many-times repeat customer for that salesman, or your buddies own the dealership.

Reply to
Tegger

MAS wrote in news:hv16nm$ok0$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de:

It appears to be true that the manager needs to sign-off on the deal. But it ends up being just one more trick they use to mess with your mind and break your resolve.

That's very typical. The enforced and lonely waiting is what breaks people, especially if they've made the fatal mistake of /really wanting/ that car. Sometimes they ask for your credit card (ostensibly so they can ring up the deposit on it should you buy), which is another "break" trick: You're not going to walk out while they have your credit card. So I simply refuse to hand it over.

The last time a salesman tried leaving me alone, I forced myself to relax to the point where I almost fell asleep. I figured it would probably rattle the salesman to find me asleep. I got my price, anyway.

You did the right thing. There are too many dealerships out there to waste time on one that doesn't want your business. Even if you made a mistake this time by offering too little, you can fix that at the next dealership.

My approach is to simply get on-the-road prices. I take care of my own financing, and tell them there's no trade. Keep it simple. Make sure the salesman knows that as soon as you find the car you want at a price within your budget, you /are/ buying. The smell of a sale is catnip to salesmen, which tends to work in your favor.

Reply to
Tegger

"D. Ohl" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net:

Actually you go to checkbook.ORG.

Checkbook.com is a "parked" domain used as an advertising site.

The concept of checkbook.org is intriguing, and I'd never heard of it before. They're US-based, and there's no mention of Canada (where I live) on their site.

How do they get paid for what they do?

The haggling is all done on their side, not mine.

I have their quote, which pins down the price. Now all I need to do is get them to /sign/ for that amount. It normally takes the salesman and his manager a while to realize that I will not budge from the quoted amount, no matter what they do to try and wear me down.

Reply to
Tegger