Wierd Motorcycle

I've seen an odd looking motorcycle in the area over the past few weeks. It has three wheels, one in the back and two in the front.

I got a good look at it cornering the other day. It appears to have some sort of front suspension linkage that keeps both front wheels on the ground and parallel to the body of the bike as it leans. This is unlike an automobile suspension, where the wheels (particularly the outside wheel) is kept at right angles to the pavement as the body rolls.

What is it? And an even more interesting question: Why is it?

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Discovery did a show on some new concept vehicles being made that sure sound like you describe.

They are made for pure fun and the cool factor.

Mike

Mike Romain

There is an article in my May 2007 Popular Mechanics magazine about a new 3 wheeler,by Bombardier.

Is that what you saw? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote

Is this the one I saw on some TV report a while back? Scooter-sized. Piaggio MP3.

MasterBlaster

I own a second hand two cylinder 12 horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine,the engine is in very good running condition and it has an electric starter.I have an old Cushman steering fork and Cushman front wheel.I ought to buy a Comet torque converter and some angle steel at a scrap iron yard and two boat trailer wheels and build something like an old style Cushman 3 wheel Truckster.It would be just right for going to the food store on those slow poke back roads I always drive on anyway. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

wrote

Build a fibreglass body on it, and you've got a Trimuter....

Main plans page

chassis (crappy pic)
chassis (crappy pic)

MasterBlaster

If I build it,all I would need on it as far as cargo capacity is concerned is a plywood box big enough to haul my groceries back from the food store,including two or three six packs. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

No. The front wheels were much closer together.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That's close. The cowling and windscreen looked somewhat different. But it could be a variation on this model (maybe a bit bigger).

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Somebody at alt.scooter newsgroup might know. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Interesting concept that goes back decades in automobiles. Numerous mircocars have been built using the reverse tricycle design. The reverse design would seem to be inherently more stable than the traditional tricycle design although agressive cornering would likely introduce some interesting sensations.

I've seen some traditional tricycle design motorcycles powered by small v8's that looked positively frightening in a slow corner.

Reply to
John S.

The problem with most tricycle designs is that one can't lean into a corner to offset the centrifugal cornering force. It corners more like a four wheel vehicle, but the center of gravity is closer to the outside wheels, so it has less leverage. Tricycles don't have the dynamic stability that a motorcycle has. Motorcycles steer by leaning and if the bike is pushed against the lean, the turn radius increases, reducing the cornering force.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Uuuuhh, yup.....

Reply to
John S.

Hey - I went to school with a guy that owned a Chshman scooter. Two speed trans, flathead single motor. It did ok.

Reply to
John S.