car tilting

Can anyone please explain why a car tilts towards the outside of a circle unlike a motorcycle which tilts towards the inside of a circle? There's both centripetal force but the roll/tilting is different.

What should I do to the car to make it lean/tilt towards the inside of a circle when cornering (like a motorcycle)?

I built a small reverse trike with no front suspension. I once tried to do a hard left turn and the left wheel got off the ground so I had to slow down and steer the other opposite direction.

I don't want to eliminate roll.... I want it to roll to the direction I'm steering. steer left - roll left steer right - roll right

Does this have anything to do with caster? or maybe camber settings?

Reply to
lethaldriver

The car rolls (the actual name of what you're describing) because the centrifugal force is pushing it away from the center of the corner, but the friction from the tires is keeping it in line. However, since the center of mass of the vehicle is higher than the tire/road interface, the car rolls.

The bike does not lean by itself, the rider induces the lean.

Get an active suspension.

Nope.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Of course it would. With no suspension you have no provision for progressive roll.

You could try tilting your head or making an active suspsension.

For the suspension you will need to add 4 inflatable cow udders, one at each spring on your car. Each udder can be inflated and deflated independently by a signal sent to solenoid controlled valve. You will need a pretty powerful air compressor.

You will also need a small microcontroller which takes input from an accelerometer. The microcontroller runs a program to calculate the pressure at each udder to compensate for the centrifugal force calculated.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Several things going on. The bike by itself does not lean into a turn, the driver leans and takes the bike with him. The biker is more or less part of the bike, unlike a car driver. The biker also raises the center of gravity and moves it out past the wheels during a turn. The bike tries to stay upright due to the inertia and centrifical force of the wheels. So, if could attach a much heavier and taller driver to your vehicle he would be able to over come the centrifical force of the Rev trike. It would be best to get the center of gravity past the inside wheel. Or like Nate said, go with an active suspension. Or a seat that power slides the driver to the inside of a turn and gets him over the inside wheel during tight turns.

Reply to
« Paul »

Or, like the racing trikes, get an acrobatic passenger.

Reply to
Steve Austin

The cycle leans into the turn because the CG is changing due to the rider leaning. The rider weighs a large fraction of the curb weight of the vehicle, so the rider shifting has a big effect on the location of the CG. Also, the tire patch support on a cycle is within a line and any time the CG moves off that line, the vehicle will tend to lean.

On a car, the driver portion of the curb weight is a small fraction, so even if the driver DOES lean, the CG does not move far. Further, the support is within a square, so would have to move a lot for a simple upset. Instead, one must look at the roll couple, the torque around a line passing from the rear suspension roll center to the front suspension roll center due to the distance from the CG to that line. This torque must be offset by the torques generated in the suspension as the car does lean.

Actually, one can raise the roll centers enough that the car WILL lean into the turn. MB demonstrated such a vehicle one time, but found there was no real advantage, and some real disadvantages, to such a setup. Trains, however, have been built with such suspensions as it was supposed to make the ride more comfortable for the passengers.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Okay thank you for your answers.

I was thinking of something like the Carver One but it's gonna be a reverse trike.

Something more similar to the Aprilia Magnet.

It doesn't have to be like a Bose Active Suspension.

I just need the vehicle to roll to the same direction it is steered to. Well, I guess that might need hydraulics or something like that to control the suspension.

Reply to
lethaldriver

Two wheelers are different.You have to steer right to go left, and vice versa. That's why dogs have tails.When they are cutting around a corner, their tails act like rudders and helps to steer them. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Dogs... - excellent!

Reply to
« Paul »

trikes have been outlawed because they kill to many people. you can no longer buy a new one. just make sure you sign your organ donor card and everything will be ok. the other option would be to get a car with

4 wheels instead of 3.
Reply to
boxing

You've GOT to be kidding.

Reply to
Steve

On 30 Sep, 15:22, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: .

Look for "Torix-Bennet suspension.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Big wing as on a spring car. Thousand pound driver leaning out the left door of an 800 pound car.

Very little.

Don

Don

Sorry, should have been "SPRINT" car.

Reply to
Don

An active supension system will do it nicely. I believe some of the Citroen systems had some coupling between the steering and the suspension causing it to lean slightly into turns.

Not at all. They are so well-known that they are specifically forbidden in most races. At least, I know NASCAR rules have a couple lines in there about active suspension control being a no-no.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey
[...]

Odd, you're a stickler for terminology here....

...but you talk about "centrifugal force" here.

Reply to
B.B.

Put your mother-in-law on the other side of the car? ;-)

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.