Wrestle Your Car's Electric/Electronic Steering Into Submission!...

CUSTOMERS have been able to return at least some semblance of normal feel to the electric steering in their Hyundai and Kia product. Turns out electric power steering is simply too powerful, even in my 2013 Hyundai Sonata. The following is a victory for driving enthusiasts who have found the now common-place electric power steering to be mushy, vague, and in some cases something that has kept them from staying in their own lane.

Read how:

Tech. Svc. Bulletin: 14-ST-001 Can be found in PDF form online, but you either have to pay for it or register to gain access.

I had my Hyundai service dept set mine right to Sport, and no longer am I afraid to drive at highway speeds in it!

It wasn't easy convincing them. First off, their senior tech initially insisted my 2013 Sonata possessed conventional hydraulic pump steering, and that I just wasn't looking in the right place for it. I already knew the last time hydraulic was used in a Sonata was 2010.

So I went to the Kia across town, explained my issue, and the service mgr and a tech sat down in my front seats - and plugged in. Their optima coded tablet enabled them to set it to 'Hard' - GLS on the Hyundai machine.

The next day I went to the Hyundai, and showed them the TSB. They hooked up to my car, and presented GLS(soft steering), SE, and Sport. I selected sport, and it was done. They charged me a pithy $60 for it, waiving the over $100 fee just to drive my car into their garage, so I am both grateful and relieved.

I would hate to have turned back in the 2013 Sonata that Enterprise Car sales helped me get into. Previously, I was scared of going over 40-50mph in this car. I was sawing the wheel to stay in my lane even on a straight and flat mile or two of interstate. Now I feel confident up to 80 - although common sense checks in before then(!) and the car swallows turns like they aren't even there. Sheesh, factory caster angle for this Sonata is +4.4 degrees. If that won't keep er straight, nothing will. LOL!

I'm sure similar options & bulletins exist for other Hyundais, Kias, and Japanese and American cars.

Reply to
thekmanrocks