04 4runner wheels oxidizing?

Hello,

I'm looking at a nice 04 4runner with 4.7 V8 4wd Sr5. It only has about 32k original miles and is in great overall condition. When I looked at the wheels (5 spoke aluminum I think) I noticed there was a sort of "bubbling oxidization" forming on the inward edges of the wheel "spokes" It appears that the aluminum oxidized under some type of clearcoat and bubbled upward? I could somewhat pick at the bubbled areas and it appeared it could be removed, but might reveal unprotected metal. It was present on all 4 wheels in different ammounts. Only guess was some chemical or steam cleaning removed the clear coat, which allowed the oxidization? Dealership is a Buick dealer, and they didn't know what it was. Powertrain warranty is still there, but the bumber to bumper is done. Anyone else have this or know what this is?

Thanks, Ted

Reply to
Ted

Back in the early nineties, GM had a similar problem with wheel coatings and warrantied most. It was exactly as you describe. Check with Toyota, but if you are happy with the rest of the vehicle overall and can live with either fixing or replacing the wheels, I would not let it stop me from purchasing it since it is not a problem that is normally not associated with any abuse IMHO.

Reply to
user

Just be sure that when new tires are installed, the mechanic thoroughly brushes the rim where it meets the tire's bead. Otherwise, you may find that the tires are losing a LOT of air, in as little as 2-3 days.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"Ph@Boy" wrote in news:KbSdnbO09oB8k5DanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@trueband.net:

Plus, there are companies that do wheel refinishing for about $100 per wheel. The wheels come out looking brand-new.

Perhaps the OP could talk the dealer into paying part of the refinishing cost.

Reply to
Tegger

innews:KbSdnbO09oB8k5DanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@trueband.net:

Thanks everyone of the replys. I'll probably take Tegger's advice and talk to the dealer about a price adj.

Thanks Again, Ted

Reply to
Ted

There ya go. Just tell the dealer you're ready to buy but for the wheels ...that look like shit. and let him take it from there.

Reply to
mack

"mack" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

If he really wants it off the lot, and he's making his margin on it anyway, he'll agree to the cost.

If he utterly refuses, suck it up, or WALK AWAY. How daring do you feel?

Reply to
Tegger