05 Sequoia: what engine oil?

I want to change the engine oil in our 05 Sequoia prior to a long road trip. I don't know if the engine has synthetic or petroleum oil in it now, and I've heard you're not supposed to switch back and forth.

Any ideas for how do I determine this?

Thanks! Dave O

Reply to
DaveO

The receipt from your last oil change should show the type of oil that was used, if you did not change it yourself. If you just acquired the vehicle, assume that it is conventional oil.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, Ray- since posting this note I had a hot flash to use whatever oil is recommended in the owner's manual, and move on from there. Thanks again!

Reply to
DaveO

You're welcome!

Have a safe trip!

Reply to
Ray O

If you switch to synthetic, it's easy to take a P-Touch labeler and make a tag near the fill hole "Synthetic Oil Only" and the brand and weight you usually use. And put a backup label on the cowl, in case the one on the valve cover falls off.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman