1988 celica insurance wants to total out

i have a 1988 celica gt conv.NO rust,170k miles everything works even the a/c,looks about new other than one door ding, a 16yr old girl pulled out i front of me ,i hit her. now her insurance comp. wants to total it out. i paid 2600.00 for it "15 days ago!" it will be about 1900.00 to 2400.00 to fix.should i make them fix it or ask for the nada book value for it?? low is 1800.00 med 2675.00 high is 3325.00 (i'll never take 1800.)let me know what you all think. corey

Reply to
itsa93sl1

The problem that may arise in trying to fix a convertible is that it is not structurally as strong and as stiff as a coupe or liftback, so the body shop may encounter problems getting body panels and the frame re-aligned.

If the insurance company wants to total the car, I would show them what you paid for it so recently and try to get that amount reimbursed.

Reply to
Ray O

Personally I have never paid more than trade-in value for a vehicle, even at a dealership. I would think it would be just a personal decision as to whether or not you think it would be worth it to fix it. See how much they would give you if you kept the car and subtract that from the cost of repair. If you were to get it totaled out, I wouldn't expect to take less that actual retail value based on condition of the car. It's may sound harsh, but it isn't the insurance companies fault if you paid too much for it.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ since you purchased it so recently, and have only had 15 days' use of the car, I'd ask AT LEAST the purchase price you paid, PLUS any taxes on the vehicle and registration fees, etc. In other words, you shouldn't have to pay a cent for having the car for fifteen days, and the vehicle has now been denied to you due to the accident. (I'd probably also ask the ins. co. to pay for a rental vehicle until you can find another car to buy.) But they'll probably not give you that benefit. Remember this axiom of insurance (no matter what kind) ......the purpose of insurance is to MAKE THE INSURED 'WHOLE' after the incident. So you should be compensated totally for the loss of your car, having had it only 15 days. Doesn't matter the age of the car, You've only had it a fortnight. Dig in and don't get blown off by the company. And good luck.

Reply to
mack

i just want them to fix it,or find me another that is rust free,we bought the car for fun and you don't see them.i'm glad we weren't in my 1979 toyota gt sunchaser.that i got for my 16th birthday oh lord 20 years ago.

Reply to
itsa93sl1