1989 toyota ?????

Hey all I recently purchased a 1989 Celica w/ auto air sunroof, for 200 bucks american. It has 165k miles on it. It runs fantastic and gets exceptional hiway gas milage. So far I have replaced the front struts, the altenator, and rebuilt the passanger rear brake cylinder. My questions are the following

1 should I change the transmission fluid, It is dark but not black. I am concerned about changing it because it looks to have never been changed before and I am worried about messing with a system that is working fine at the moment. 2 If I do change the fluid and filter in the transmission, is there a shift kit available for it, I would like to get a little firmer shifts if I could 3 Would a transmission cooler be usefull on this car? If so how big of a cooler should I get? 4 Aside from different tires, what alternatives do I have in regards to making this car handle better? So far I have a total of 200 for the car 100 =altenator 90= strut inserts 6=brake cylinder rebuild

--------- $396 grand total I have less than what some peoples car payments are invested in this car so I can only go up. Thanks for any and all replies Steve

Reply to
seeray28(steve)

Tricky questions!

As far as the tranny, smell it. If it doesn't smell burnt, then perhaps you can get away with a drin and fill. DON'T FLUSH IT!!!!

This car should have a screen. What I would do is get a clean pan of some sort to drain the fluid into, and put it aside. What happens is the friction material breaks down; this way, if it has broken down you may be able to save the old stuf and enough of the 'material' to keep the tranny working! (In the old days, they used to 'replenish' slipping trannies with Sawdust. Lasts long enough to drive it home, and then to Aamco...!)

Take out the screen and look at it. If it is loaded with red or black specs, those are your clutch discs! Meaning, they are shot. If it is somewhat clean, clean it and replace. Put the pan back on and refill with fresh tranny sauce. Fill the empty bottles with the old stuff, just in case!

As far as the tires, this should have 14" rims on it. A 195/60-14 will fit without rubbing (it should!); you'll get a slightly softer ride due to the higher sidewall (I believe stock is a 185/60-14?) and give you a slightly wider tire track. You can *try* a 205 or 225/60-14, but these may rub.

Give me the stock tire size and I can help a little more on this.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Just drain and refill the ATF, do not flush. There is a screen under the oil pan but I would not worry about it.

New ATF can help it shift more crisply, as can new accumulators.

A transmission cooler will not make the car perform better, and it just one more potential source of leaks. I would not add one.

New struts with springs may help the car handle better, as will increasing tire pressure to about 34 PSI.

Reply to
Ray O

  1. I would change the transmission fluid but don't flush it or go overboard. just let what runs out come out and no more.
  2. Firmer shifts in a front wheel drive car can cause problems, plus shift kits are recommended on older transmissions. If it is weak that will make it go quicker.
  3. The transmission should already have a cooler in the radiator. unless you plan to tow with it or race it I wouldn't worry.
  4. Coil-over kits are available for the Celica but they need to be fitted professionally as they modify the strut. 90% of the suspension bushes can be replaced with polyurethane instead of rubber. Stiffer springs and anti-roll bars especially on the rear to lift the inside wheel on turn-in will give sharper handling. fit ST162 front hubs as they have camber adjusters built in, or get adjustable strut tops which can change the camber and the caster of the front wheels. And finally have it all setup and corner weighted by a race suspension shop to get everything working in harmony. Also fit 16inch wheels with 215 wide tarmac rally spec tyres, but be prepared to change them regularly.
Reply to
Nicholas Bourne