1990 camry ATF quantity

Hello all.

First: Thank you for any and all replies to my post...everyone has always been very helpful...enough smooching!

Second: I am about to do a full transmission fluid flush and am wondering how many quarts of ATF to purchase. I believe twelve quarts usually cover most vehicles but if I can get a more specific number for a 4-cylinder 1990 Camry (btw, it only has just over 110k miles--a baby, practically). In the past I have replaced the transmission filter and just replaced whatever ATF that drained out, usually with about three to four quarts of ATF, but I would like to give her a full transmission flush and fill.

Third: Any specific ATFs, or requirements\specifications, to purchase that might extend life\performance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

rybo

Reply to
rybo

You would be bettered served to have your tranny flushed at a shop that uses a flushing machine. One must flush enough fluid through the tranny to clean the converter as well. Simply changing the fluid is not a good idea, that alone will not change the fluid in the converter or clean it. Tranny fluid is loaded with detergents, the new fluid you install will begin to clean and loosen the gunk therein and that can lead to trouble. It is better to let a flushing machines do the cleaning, leaving the tranny filled with all new fluid afterwards.

mike hunt

rybo wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

I've heard of disasters occuring just after flushing, and because Toyotas have drain plugs on their transmission pans, why not just change the fluid every 15,000 miles?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

No doubt, but the disasters are much more likely to occur after a mere fluid change than a machine flush for the reason I stated..

mike hunt

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

You can buy a lot of quality trans fluid for the $120 it cost to have it flushed! I'd go with a drain and refill every 15-30k or so.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Then why do owner's manuals and factory service manuals give instructions for drain/refill but not for flushing?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

The want to sell you another tranny???

I know you appear to be simply asking question but I don't post opinions, I post what I know to be factual.

My suggestion to flush rather than simply drain the tranny comes from our experience servicing thousands of vehicles annually. I stated clearly the reasons why a flush is better and I'm certainly not going to debate every joker in a NG that wants to save a few dollars on a fluid change. If one chose to avoid that advice, that is certainly their privilege, I could not care less.

mike hunt

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson