1993 Corolla drivetrain

Jack requests:

1993 Corolla LE 285,000 km (177,000 mi) 1.8L 7A-FE engine A245E 4-speed automatic transaxle

This car makes a clunk when put into drive or reverse from standing, and also when the accelerator is released at speed.

On the hoist I can produce the noise by turning either front wheel back and forth. The sound is not coming from the area of the wheels. It seems to be coming from the centre of the car (transaxle area).

Your comments on diagnosis and repair are welcome.

Thanks,

- Jack.

Reply to
Ralph

Sounds like a tranmission rebuild to me.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

I would be checking the engine and transmission mounts. Sounds like 1 or more may need replacing.

Scott

Reply to
zonie

Sounds are very difficult to diagnose without hearing them. Possible causes are a bad constant velocity (CV) joint, bad motor or transmission mounts, or an internal problem with the differential like excessive backlash or with the transmission.

Reply to
Ray O

Slop in the drivetrain - and since it's a FWD, the knee-jerk "It's a bad U-Joint or worn Slip Splines on the driveshaft" doesn't apply.

It has to be either a sloppy CV joint on one of the front half-shafts, or in the final drive "rear end" gears somewhere.

Get a trained ear to listen to the clunk, but with that kind of mileage on the car I'd check the half-shafts first.

Go over the rubber boots at both ends looking carefully for cracks or tears. If they get torn and are left exposed the dirt and sand gets inside and mixes with the grease, and will trash the CV joint in no time at all.

Rebuilt half-shafts aren't expensive - around $100 new each side, $70 remanufactured each side (not counting core charge), and they practically snap right out, snap right in.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman