Landcruiser Windscreen surround rust.

Has anyone has any trouble with their Landcruiser series 80 rusting along the top of the windscreen rubber surround where the rubber meets the bodywork.

I would be most grateful of any information.

Reply to
The O n e

That can be a sign of a bad primer application when a replacement windshield is installed. The tool used to remove the damaged windshield usually scrapes paint off the opening edge. The installer is supposed to spray primer (usually zinc based one) on the bare metal before reinstallation. To repair it you will probably have to remove the windshield, repair the paint damage, and then reinstall the windshield.

The O n e wrote:

Reply to
nowhere

Is this the usual occurance for the tooling to scrape off paint. The company which did the new windscreen it appears has not used any sort of installer or primer on the paintwork.

Reply to
The O n e

It is not that uncommon for the installer to scrape the paint a little when removing the old windshield. Besides the gasket, I believe there are clips to hold the windshield in place.

Reply to
Ray O

It is normal for a tool to be used and for it to scrape off paint in the process...usually. It is almost unavoidable. That is why the installer should and normally does prime the area before the new installation.

The O n e wrote:

Reply to
nowhere

So anyone who fails to treat the bare metal basically has not done a proper job. What could happen if the windscreen surround is left as it is.

Reply to
The O n e

It will eventually rust out and leak. If bad enough, it can compromise the structural integrity of the roof and post system to affect rollover protection.

The O n e wrote:

Reply to
nowhere

Ultimately the whole body will reduce to iron oxide. Any Toyota or Datsun sold here [UK] during the early 1970's had fist sized rust holes in the bodies by the time they were four years old. This particular vehicle is getting towards 15 years old already and will probably last until 20 years old with corrective treatment. The sooner the better though. This account has made me wonder whether the fitters who recently replaced my

100's screen sprayed primer on the metal. I suspect that since the weather was freezing and windy when they did the job, that they did not. Time will tell.

Huw

Reply to
Huw