1996 Toyota Tercel, anticipated maintanence??

I have a 1996 Tercel with 100,850 miles that I bought brand new and am the original owner.

I'm just curious as to what at this point I can expect as far as I suppose other than normal maintanence that might crop up on me.....

I have taken good care of this car, did all the suggested maintance at the intervals required....Oil changes, tune-ups, timing belt changes, etc. Recently though I have had some issues......Keep in mind I'm not that mechanically inclined so my explanations might not be perfect. ;0)

  1. Full replacement of the exhaust piping system & muffler, including the freakin sensor that they broke trying to get it out.

The mechanic explained that from where the rotted seperation occured (behind the muffler) & that it was the original factory install that aftermarket exhaust system mount in 3 or 4 sections?? As opposed to 2 in the original?? I seen the original pipe and it did look rather crazy to try & repair the rotted section.....P'd me off because the muffler & cat converter appeared to be in good shape.

  1. Just had the rear struts replaced due to leaking & would not pass inspection unless I replaced em........

I suppose these are the types of things I'm referring to ya know......Maybe next could be a starter, power steeering pump, etc etc........I guess overall I'm just trying to get an idea on other things I should be concerned with as far as a 10yr old car........But I have to admit, this car is in excellent condition & no rust anywhere and it has been very good to me, but if anticipated expenses are going to occur than I have to decide if it's worth keeping.....Transmission & engine repairs are quite costly......My brother has a Corrola with 395K miles on it and it's been an awesome investment for him......

Thanks for any advice............

Reply to
ByTor

You're ahead of the game with regular maintenance. One maintenance item that I don't believe is mentioned in the manual is changing brake fluid. It's hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air) and while there are rust inhibitors in brake fluid they don't last forever. You can wait until your next brake servicing to do this then put it on a two-year schedule just like your transmission oil.

Two relatively big ticket items that you might expect are clutch (manual transmission only) and CV joints, both in the neighborhood of $700-1000.

Further advice would depend on what you want out of the car.

It's quite possible that you'll be able to get another ten years and 100,000 miles without any major repairs - including the clutch and CV joints mentioned above (I have a 95 Tacoma with 190K on the original clutch, but this is unusual). If you're seeking simple, reliable transportation without a lot of expense and don't care much about the cosmetic stuff that deteriorates over the years, by all means keep the Tercel.

On the other hand, if the appearance and comfort of the car means something to you, if having all of the switches, levers and doodads working as they should makes you happy and the opposite drives you nuts, if you want to take advantage of technological improvements that have occured in the last ten years, if you would rather have the predictable expense of a car payment instead of the unpredictable expense of repairs - then jettison the Tercel and buy something new.

This really is a decision that you need to make for yourself - but you knew that, of course.

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

Keep in mind that the original exhaust system lasted 10 years and aftermarket exhausts generally do not last that long. If you have the exhaust replaced at a Toyota dealer, you will have a lifetime parts and labor guarantee on the exhaust and related parts that can be honored at any Toyota dealer in the country.

Keep in mind that the original struts lasted 10 years and aftermarket struts generally do not last that long. If you have the struts replaced at a Toyota dealer, you will have a lifetime parts and labor guarantee on the exhaust and related parts that can be honored at any Toyota dealer in the country.

Unfortunately, exhausts, shock absorbers, and struts are the only replacement parts sold and installed by Toyota dealers with a lifetime guarantee. The starter, power steering pump, alternator, and water pump are parts that will eventually wear. The first three are not that expensive, certainly less than the cost of getting a new car. The next time you have the timing belt replaced, you may want to think about replacing the water pump as a preventative measure, since removal of the timing belt is required to replace the water pump.

Regular preventative maintenance goes a long ways towards keeping a vehicle in good running condition. Coolant changes every 2 or 3 years keeps internal corrosion under control, as does brake fluid replacement every

80,000 or 100,000 miles. The engine should last at least another 100,000 miles as long as you keep up regular oil and filter changes.
Reply to
Ray O

I believe you mean that the other way around.

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

Yes, I stand corrected!

Reply to
Ray O

Dude, I think this car's about to self-destruct.

I will take it off your hands for a mere $125 charge. Let me know, and I'll come get it. Have a check or cash ready! ;)

Nah, you got another 100,000 miles EASY if you keep up the maintenence! I had a '95 and was getting a COMBINED 44MPG with it. I feel like an ass for selling it, but then again, the Supra I bought with half the money has a tendancy to make up for it!

Reply to
Hachiroku