2000 Camry Clutch Problem

I have a friend with a 2000 Camry, manual transmission, ~60,000 miles, and she states that her clutch is going out. The car had two previous owners, who maybe rode the clutch. She bases this on indications of the odometer spinning faster at times on an incline or starting and also on how the clutch catches. I told her to have a Toyota service man that is used to checking Toyotas out to look at it and maybe check for any service bulletins. I also suggested she call Toyota and see if they will help her out in the cost since the powertrain warranty, although expired, is pretty close. Problem is that she doesn't have much money. Any better recommendations?

Reply to
Sliderbot

Clutches are wear item (like brake pads) and aren't covered under any warranty. The odometer spins faster? Do you meach the tachometer speeds up but car doesn't go any faster? Odometer and clutch have no relationship. Unless really abused (or has a tow hitch) it should be good for about 90k miles. She can probably save $200 by not having Toyota replace the clutch - no special tools or expertise req'd..

Reply to
Wolfgang