2000 Corolla gas mileage only 22 ?

I have a 2000 corolla and its giving me a gas mileage of only 22 in the city. Is this normal for a 5 year old car to drop mileage like that? The TV commercials claim that Toyota gives a mileage of 31 in the city. I usually drive in a hilly area, with lots of signals and stop signs.

Reply to
black_corolla

Are you located in an area that experiences winter weather at this time of year? If so, that will decrease your gas mileage.

If you have lots of signals and stop signs, then obviously you must idle very frequently. That will hurt your mileage too.

Other factors:

Driving habits (jackrabbit starts from stop, for example)

Incorrect tire pressure and/or size

Failing spark plugs, O2 sensor, etc. (or aftermarket instead of OEM)

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

How many miles on it ? Did it used to be better in the same environment/driving styles ? If so it probably needs a good tune-up.

Reply to
RT

I had a 97 corolla (albeit a 3-speed auto) that got 23 in the city on a good tank.

Reply to
end_is_near1

The mileage used to be a little better. Winter weather could be the reason, I did not know that affects mileage!! The car has got about 56K miles, so not that old for a corolla.

Reply to
black_corolla

Winter weather affects fuel mileage because the engine takes longer to warm up to operating temperature, where it operates more efficiently.

Reply to
Ray O

should not make a noticeable difference.

Reply to
RT

It certainly does with our Corolla, particularly when there's snow or ice on the road.

"RT" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Ghislain

Why don't you think so?