Gas Mileage

I have a 2002 Toyota Corolla CE and cannot find anywhere in the manual where it shows how many total gallons of gas my car holds. I am trying to figure out my current gas mileage. I only drive in the city

- so I know it's less than on the highway. When the needle is on the mark that shows 1/4 .... how many gallons of gas have I used?

Reply to
Dottie

And you havnt thought about checking it at the fill up? Geeze.

Reply to
ransley

Zero the odometer on your next full tank. Then on the next full tank, record the miles and gallons that was pumped in. This method is a better measurement, the needle is not very accurate.

Reply to
EdV

And you havnt thought about checking it at the fill up? Geeze.

***

That only works if you let your tank get completely empty.

It's probably 10-gallon, but I'm not certain.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Dottie" ...

Here ya go - it's actually 13-gallon:

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

IIRC, 13 or 13.2 gallons.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

it works on no matter what you put in, put in one gallon, reset the trip odometer, when you fill up see how many miles you went.

Reply to
ransley

The tank capacity is listed on the page for specifications and capacities in the owner's manual.

As others have pointed out, you need to keep a record of how much gas you put in at the pump to determine fuel economy. To calculate miles per gallon, the formula is (gallons of gas pumped into the tank) divided by (miles traveled since last fillup).

Reply to
Ray O

Dip, that's totally innacurate.

10 gallon left at 1/4 tank? So she has a 40 Gallon tank? Doubtful. More likely it's a 16 gallon tank so she'd have more like 4 left.

Easy enough to tell. Fill the tank, drive until you've used 1/4 tank. Fill it. Check the mileage and use simple math to figure it out.

To be safe, do the same thing at each of the other quarter marks.

To know how many MILES she has left when her tank is at 1/4, she could put a gallon jug in the trunk, note the mileage at 1/4 tank and when she runs out.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

I hope you know to check your tires, oil, oil change interval, and all other fluids, because anyone that doesnt know how to check mileage regularly is , well....

Reply to
ransley

Oh, Nat....you're a helpful Harriet. I was just about to suggest the OP browse for "2002 Corolla specifications". I did this just the other day to find out the dimensions of our '97 Camry. (And found that it's only 10 inches longer than the '09 Corolla!) and less than an inch wider. The new Corolla is huge!

Reply to
mack

I just checked this link - OMG, but my memory is astounding me (in the positive sense, for once)! I'd posted that the gas tank is 13 or maybe 13.2 gallons. It *is* 13.2. How the hell did I manage to remember that from years ago?!

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I hope you know to check your tires, oil, oil change interval, and all other fluids, because anyone that doesnt know how to check mileage regularly is , well....

married to someone, and the mother of someone who check those things for me, but yes, I do know how to do it.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"mack" ...

hehehe I *try* to be helpful when I can, but of course there are others who give much more informed (and not unnecessarily snide) replies.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

LOL, hate to tell ya, but long-term memory is actually better than short-term, as we age...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

True - re: that was in the long-term memory file, but it was such a little factoid-ish thing...

Can you remember what happened this

Uhhhh.... ;-)

Yeah, I can. Basically.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Are you sure about that formula set up, Ray? I like the answer better when it's miles divided by gallons rather than gallons divided by miles

Reply to
tak

DOH!!! I stand corrected!

Reply to
Ray O

Yup, Tak already pointed out my mistake. It seems like everyone just loves to catch my mistakes!

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" ...

That's because they're so rare!