2007 corolla

went to dealer for oil change,of course they always find some thing to make money on .I have 2007 corolla with 35,000 miles on it,then he tells me my throttle body needs to decarbonized ,this car runs perfect,idles good,accelerates good.They want over $100 for this.Any body run into this "problem" ?? Thanks

Reply to
pacca

De-carbonize is a fancy word for clean. You can do this yourself with throttle body cleaner and a rag. Simply remove the air intake tube from the throttle body to gain access. Although it is not likely dirty enough to cause issues at 35,000 that doesn't mean it won't be eventually....especially if you don't replace the air filter often enough.

Analogy: Do you wait until you can't see out of the windows to wash a car? Of course not.

Cleaning the throttle body is considered routine maintenance on any modern car, and if you can't do it yourself it costs whatever a place charges. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

My dad had a 98 Honda Odyssey that for some reason kept building up crud in the throttle body, to the point where the pedal would stick before he could engage it. Nothing earth shattering, but annoying as hell.

Yes, the throttle body can get to the point where it needs cleaned. But you can do that yourself, or find an independent shop to do it.

Next time you go to the dealer for an oil change, you should get some nail polish and paint tiny little marks across the edges of screws/fasteners to things like your air cleaner, etc. Then when they say "we see this," you can go under the hood and see if those marks are disturbed or not.

Chances are, you'll find not. Which means they didn't look, they're just throwing some spaghetti against your wall in the hopes that some sticks and they get extra business out of you. Not that they won't do the work, but that the work maybe didn't need done.

You need to find a mechanic you can trust.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty