2007 Corolla hard starting

Purchased a brand new 2007 Corolla about a month ago. For the last several weeks I've noticed that the car needs a few more seconds (10
seconds or so) of cranking to start than other cars I've owned. Since this is my first Toyota I thought maybe it was just a difference between cars and not a big deal. Now I'm not so sure, as this morning when I went to start the car after it had been sitting for about 12 hours I felt I was almost close to needing a tow. I tried starting the car, cranked the engine for about 20 seconds, but the car didn't start. Tried again, this time for about 30 seconds, still no joy. Finally on the third time it did catch after about 15 seconds, but sputtered for a few seconds as it started. It was cold outside (10 F), but I've not had this problem with other cars I've owned, also yesterday morning was colder and the Corolla had been sitting longer and I didn't have the problem. I called the service department of the dealership and they blamed it on the cold and said they didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary. Any thoughts? Thanks
-Mike

Bullshit dealer bullshit dealer bullshit. If you *really* mean 10 seconds, something's wrong. Warranty time. Get to the dealer and get in someone's face.

I've had Corollas since '84 and live in the NE , and this doesn't sound normal to me. For ex., yesterday was 10 F here, the car (an '04) hadn't been used since Tuesday afternoon (ton of snow on Wed. & didn't go anyplace), & it started immediately. IMO, that service dep't. (or the guy who answered, at any rate), was full of it.
Cathy

wdoa wrote:

I have owned an '03 and am currently driving an'05 Corolla LE. Never have I had to crank the engine in either vehicle more than a few seconds in even the coldest temperatures (-25F). This seems abnormal in my experiences with any new vehicle. Have the dealer address this issue ASAP and if a comparison is needed, ask them to start a new car of your type on the lot in your presence. Just a thought, but you would not by chance be trying to start the vehicle with any advance of the accelerator pedal? (Foot on the gas)? Check/review your owners manual for the correct start procedure, but most require you do not depress the accelerator for normal starting. Good luck.

I'd say the Dealer is B/Sing you!
My son's 06 Corolla starts almost instantly, even in cold weather.
Time to visit the dealer of find another dealer and get it fixed.
--

Scott in Florida

I have an 05 Corolla since new. I'v noticed it takes a longer cranking time than any of the Nissan's I'v owned, three of them. Once it took a lot longer to start on a hot start. Normal? Ron

See my post regarding the TSB for 2005 and 2006 Corollas with this condition.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message wrote:

I'm glad mine's an '04!
Cathy

It sounds like the same condition described in a technical service bulletin (TSB) EG053-06 for 2005 and 2006 Corollas with the 1ZZ-FE engines. While the TSB does not list 2007 Corollas as having the same condition, it sure sounds the same to me.
My recommendation is to make arrangements to leave the vehicle at the dealership overnight so that they can experience the extended crank condition.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Water in gas or bad fuel pump are 2 possibilities.

Check back with your dealer. it is in fact your fuel pump, caused by extreme cold and especailly when parked outside, a friend of my whom is a Toyota service advisor told me that this could happen. Luckily i mainly have my 06 garaged overnite......good luck and dont let them brush you off.....
Deano
"wdoa" wrote: > Purchased a brand new 2007 Corolla about a month ago. For the > last > several weeks I've noticed that the car needs a few more > seconds (10 > seconds or so) of cranking to start than other cars I've > owned. Since > this is my first Toyota I thought maybe it was just a > difference > between cars and not a big deal. Now I'm not so sure, as this > morning > when I went to start the car after it had been sitting for > about 12 > hours I felt I was almost close to needing a tow. I tried > starting the > car, cranked the engine for about 20 seconds, but the car > didn't > start. Tried again, this time for about 30 seconds, still no > joy. > Finally on the third time it did catch after about 15 seconds, > but > sputtered for a few seconds as it started. It was cold outside > (10 F), > but I've not had this problem with other cars I've owned, also > yesterday morning was colder and the Corolla had been sitting > longer > and I didn't have the problem. > I called the service department of the dealership and they > blamed it > on the cold and said they didn't think it was anything out of > the > ordinary. > Any thoughts? Thanks > > -Mike