Oil leak...... Puegeot 206 2 lite HDI DW10D Engine

Hi All, I appear to have an oil leak at around the timing belt end of the engine at the back. car has does 123K miles, had its timing belt done a year ago at 96K miles, so at the time the camshaft and crankshaft oil seals were OK then.

How long do crankshaft and camshaft oil seals last on DW10D engines?

The auxiliary drive belt for the alternator & PAS pump is free of oil, I have not looked inside the cambelt cover yet to see if the timing belt is oily, as that would indicate the camshaft or crankshaft oil seal has failed.

I was hoping you fellow peeps can suggest to me where the oil might be coming from. as I don't want to have to take off the timing belt just to look at the camshaft or crankshaft oil seals.

It appears to be a slow leak, about 1 pint of oil for 3K miles, it has coated one end of the sump cover, and the round spoked metal wheel which if I recall is an engine mounting. (in front of the driver's footwell)

There is no oil at all on the botton engine bay plastic sheild, so its probably being blown out onto the road. Someone has suggested oil pipes to/from turbocharger or the oil sump cover or the rocker cover gasket.

I've checked the power steering level and its at the right level.

Looking forward to your replies

Stephen

Reply to
Mallory

It is fairly well known that the crank seal at least should be replaced with the timing belt on these, as well as the crank pulley/damper assembly.

If the seal doesnt immediately leak, it will do when the damper begins to break up and the pulley slides towards the engine and cuts into it.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

The Crankshaft damper pulley has been replaced twice already on this car incidentally.

The damper pulley was replaced about a week before the timing belt was replaced.

There was nothing in the Haynes manual about replacing the camshaft oil seal or the crankshaft oil seal, it meerely said inspect, and replace if necessary.....

Stephen

Reply to
Mallory

Sounds just like bad luck then- replace the seal and cross fingers then.

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

which is going to be a pain in the arse labour wise, as to get at the crankshaft seal:

Take off the alternator/power steering drivebelt take off the damper pulley, take off timing belt cover, take off the cam belt, take off the crankshart toothed pulley extract old crankshaft oil seal

fit new crankshaft oil seal, and refit in reverse order!

Reply to
Mallory