95 Corolla check light? how to diagnose?

Hi I have a 1995 corolla with 115k miles on it. The check (engine) light on the dashboard stays on all the time. Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot and find out the meaning of the code?

I did check the 02 sensor wires on the header and connector on the fan shroud, those look good. gas cap was secure, as I heard vacuum as well.

Thanks!

-joe

Reply to
g20joe1

Go to Autozone and they will check the code for free. Post the code here and then someone can help you.

-hbuck

Reply to
hbuck

Ok, I checked some more and I found the diagnostics port on the drivers side engine bay. I shorted TE1 and E1, and I got the check code 21

Is that the o2 sensor? Is it a safe bet to replace it? I also disconnected the battery, and I'll make sure the same code comes back.

Reply to
g20joe1

I also learned there is 1 o2 sensor in the header(i can see that behind the radiator) and I think there is one on the downpipe(i still have to crawl under). If there are 2 o2 sensors, how do I know which one is bad?

Thanks!!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
g20joe1