WRX auto Trans -- 4 or 5-spd?

I thought I read a couple years back that the WRX sport wagon (2.0, 227 HP) offered a 5-spd auto trans. Can someone confirm whether this is true or not.

I'm equally curious to know how long the WRX sedan has had an auto trans as an option in the U.S.

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
Greg

Nope, the WRX comes with either the 5spd manual or 4spd auto. And the WRX has had both of those chioces since it came to the US in my2002.

Ragnar

I hit send before I completed my previous thought. I guess that it might be possible to get decent performance out of that engine with a n automatic transmission if there's a manual-override mode. I didn't look much at the autos when I bought my WRX, and couldn't find any mention of a manual-override feature.

Reply to
y_p_w

There is no manual override for the Auto. It is (of course) possible to shift automatically. I just switched to manual valvebodies on my car so that I could get that manual feel (and because I was hitting the rev limiter because the car wouldn't shift fast enough going down the 1/4 mile.) I've also switched to a racing compound clutchpack, and larger trans pump and went from 350 WHP to 383 WHP on an inertia dyno (mustang), which is about the same as what the 5spd WRX's w/ the same mods as me have done...so I think I might have just found the way to get rid of some driveline loss on a subie.

Reply to
WRXtreme

Bah, typed that wrong...should have said "It is (of course) possible to shift MANUALLY"

Reply to
WRXtreme

That's because there isn't one. It's a 4-spd automatic with no input aside from the gas from the driver whatsoever to influence where the auto decides to shift.

Reply to
k. ote.