98 Sienna Backup light access

Folks, I bought a couple of LED bulbs to replace the bulbs in the backup lights to get more light back there for backing up. I open the hatch and remove the one nut that I see. Now I can pry up that one side of the lens a little bit but can do no more and I do not see any other thing that is holding the lens in place. What do I need to do to get at the bulbs? [....and yes, for those that will inevitably say 'read the manual', the manual is somewhere not to be found at this time ;-) ] Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

From looking at a picture of the tail lights, I would imagine that there are at least 2 nuts that hold the assembly in place. Sometimes, there will be an access panel behind the light socket so you can change the bulb without having to remove the light assembly.

Reply to
Ray O

Have you tried sliding/twisting the cover? There may be a small tongue or tab on the other side. (Do it gently, of course.)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Thanks Ray. Is this picture on line anywhere? I see no access panel. I suppose the next step will be removing the whole interior panel, but I was hoping to not need to do that and that there was a trick... From the way it feels, it seems like there is a 2nd nut in there. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Thanks Andrew, I tried sliding it sideways and gently twisting - no budge. On the outside taillight (one of which seems to burn out often so I have done this a few times) there is a couple of screws by the doorway and then a couple of push-in clips at the front edge of the lens. I suppose I am wondering if there are those type of clippy things on this lens as well. Is so I would pull harder but I don't want to break it if it is not so. Wish I had that owners manual..... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I just looked at a picture of the exterior of the back of the van and guessed that there are at least 2 attachment points because of the width of the light assembly.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas without looking at the light assembly.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O