How to Test Backup Switch?

For a 1982 Tercel with a manual transmission, the backup lights are not working. The bulbs are in working condition, but they are getting no juice when backing up. I recently had the clutch rebuilt by an automotive shop. So I verified that the connection to the backup switch in the transmission was still intact. My next guess is to test the switch. It has two wires.

How do I go about testing the backup switch?

Reply to
O.B.

Unplug the wires from the backup switch, put the transmission in reverse, and with an ohm meter or continuity tester, check for continuity between the two terminals on the switch.

If you have a 12 volt tester, then with the ignition on but the engine off and the transmission in reverse, check for 12 volts going into and out of the switch.

Reply to
Ray O