99 Avalon

A while ago my wife and I decided that our next car would be a Toyota product because they were so highly rated in Consumer Reports.

So we were looking around for a used Camry.

Recently, my wife's aunt called and said she was selling her 99 Avalon. 106,000 miles. $7,500.

On the one hand, I know that the oil has been changed like clockwork and that the car was well-maintained. It never required service work out of the norm.

But on the other hand it does have over 100,000 miles on it which makes me nervous. On any of the crappy cars I've owned in the past things started going right around the 100,000 mark and it would get worse as the miles racked up.

So I'm trying to make up my mind.

My question is what of life can one expect ot get out of an Avalon before problems start nickling and diming you?

Reply to
denaman

As long as all of the maintenance (brake checks, transmission fluid changes, coolant changes, etc) have been performed, 200,000 miles should be do-able.

Reply to
Ray O

Couple of things we see regularly on those early avalons that cost a bit of cash are loose front strut mounts and leaking powersteering racks and pumps. Front mounts come in around 250 or so, and the pump can be around

300. I see a lot of leaking racks, but normally advise customers that unless they are really gushing fluid (which is rare) to leave it be and check the fluid level regularly instead of paying the crazy 6 or 700 bucks to put a new one in.
Reply to
qslim

Art