99 Tercel AC condenser

Hello, everyone: My AC has lost all freon and mechanic is saying that a condenser is leaking and needs to be replaced. When he charged AC slightly, I indeed saw something dripping at the front. I am not experienced in car repairs. Can it be something simpler than replacing a condenser? Thank you. Viatcheslav

Reply to
vriabov

It could be a leak in the receiver drier, high pressure line, low pressure line, evaporator, condenser, or expansion valve. Without looking at the vehicle, it is difficult, if not impossible, to accurately and properly diagnose the cause of the leak. My recommendation would be to take the advice of a professional, or if you do not trust the shop, take it to another for a second opinion, although be aware that you will have to pay for another diagnosis.

Reply to
Ray O

Your mechanic would have to pressurize the system with dry Nitrogen or dry shop air (run it through a desiccant air drier) and see exactly where the leak is. If he couldn't point to a certain spot and say "There is the trouble spot", it was an incomplete diagnosis. It could be leaking at the threaded fitting for the hoses, and that is easily fixed by changing the crush washer or O-ring, or a new hose fitting.

If the leaking spot is a crack or rub-through of the tubing that is easily reached, and the condenser has copper tubing core, it is easy to fix. Simply make room to get in with a torch, and braze the leaky spot shut.

If it is an aluminum tube core that is leaking, that gets trickier. They may have to take the condenser core off the car to get it on the workbench, and then prop it up at the right angle to weld it up, and it will need to be done by a highly experienced welder using a TIG torch.

Aluminum is tricky to weld because it has a very narrow temperature difference between where it's in the 'plastic range' and hot enough to weld, and where the whole area melts into a big puddle - and even the best welders will occasionally ruin an item while trying to weld it.

If it's an aluminum core, or the leaking spot is inside the fin section where it would be a bear to repair, you are better off to replace the whole core. Forget epoxy or other 'patch' repairs, they are not worth the time or effort. The prices are reasonable for new condenser cores, and not too hard to change out.

Be glad it's not the evaporator core in the heater box under the dashboard. That one's usually a Gold Plated SOB to change out, just because the heater box is buried deep.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman