A/C Previa Question

What would cause A/C coolant to not be drawn into the system during recharging? I tried recharging my A/C system, since it is completely dry, but the compressor would not engage and the coolant was being pushed back thus escaping from the can. The Previa is a '92 and the A/C was working fine until last summer when it stopped cooling. In checking, there was no coolant left in the system.

Thanks!

Reply to
Tim

Since there is no such thing as "AC coolant", I'll assume that you are talking about refrigerant such as R-12 or 134-A.

IIRC, the factory charge for a 1992 Previa was R-12 so unless you had the conversion to R-134-A, anything you can buy off the shelves at an auto parts store will not be compatible and the connections probably will not fit properly anyway, which would be why nothing is getting into the system and just venting.

AC systems have a low-pressure safety switch to keep the compressor clutch from engaging so that the compressor won't self-destruct. If there is no refrigerant in the system, the compressor won't engage.

Reply to
Ray O