a constant reader in need of HELP!

Hi all -

After three years of delightful service from my 03 Avalon, I got a 'check engine' light yesterday. Went to Auto Zone and borrowed their code reader, finding out that I had three related errors. P0441, P0442 and P0446.

0441 is - evap. emission control system purge flow fault 0442 is - " " " " leak (small) 0446 is - " " " " vent circuit malfunction

So my question is ....how to approach this fix, and if I can detect where the problem is and fix it, how do I clear the check engine light ? I'm thinking there may be a leaky vacuum hose, or the canister needs replacement, or whatever, but I don't want to start by troubleshooting in the dark. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mack

There are 2 technical service bulletins (TSB) related to this condition: EG01303 and EG01303R (the "R" suffix means that it this is a revision of the first TSB). You can get online access to TSB's at NHTSA's on line web site at

(searching for TSB's is free but there is a fee to look at the actual TSB. You can also get online access to Toyota's technical publications at techinfo.toyota.com for $10/day. My guess is a charcoal canister purge valve problem.

My advice is to NOT clear the trouble codes, leave the check engine light on, and take it to a Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair. The repair may be covered by the emissions warranty.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

~~~~~~~~~~~~' Once again, many thanks Ray! I'll keep the ng posted on developments and whether the emission control stuff is subject to the 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty. Hope so.

Reply to
mack

You're welcome! I hope the repairs are covered and look forward to hearing what the cause and cure are.

Reply to
Ray O