2000 Toyota Echo Trouble Codes 440, 1 & 6

Dear Group: My check engine light is on so I borrowed a code reader and got the following: P0440=Evaporation Emission Control System Malfunction. P0441=Evaporation Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow P0446=Evaporation Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction These all point to a problem with the canister purge valve. The computer opens this purge valve when the engine is started cold. This allows the engine to pull in the gas vapors that accumulated in the charcoal canister from the gas tank. Should I just replace the purge valve (called evap vsv in mitchell manual) or should I try to go throught the diagnostic tree I got out of the mitchell manual? Any other ideas? bicyclemichaela

Reply to
bicyclemichaela

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, bicyclemichaela being of bellicose mind posted:

Each of these codes could also be stored due the the gas cap not being screwed on tight or be completely missing.

Reply to
Philip®

I put a new gas cap on it. Then I turned the light off by taking the terminals off the battery and touching them together. The light still came back on. Any other ideas? Thanks.. bicyclemichaela

Reply to
bicyclemichaela

I'm more curious where you got this idea of removing one battery cable and then touching it to the other cable and the notion this would clear the ECU memory. What of that?

One other question: What news reader are you using and how many characters per line?

Thanks

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, bicyclemichaela being of bellicose mind posted:

Reply to
Philip®

Dear Phillip: I thought that was the same as leaving the battery terminals off for a half an hour to clear the memory. Actually a smog shop inspector told me that idea. And I use Google groups. Any other suggestions on readers to use? bicyclemichaela

Reply to
bicyclemichaela