A lawyer to head Minerals Management Service?

But wait! Isn't about half of the congress lawyers? Look how great they are doing. (Yes, I understand MMS was a mess) I would have thought he could have found an expert to run it probably even one without ties to the industry if he had tried. But a lawyer to head a small technical agency?

Reply to
ron

my thoughts too. And while I'm at it, I've never heard of a lawyer, especially two in the same family, "voluntarily" giving up their license, really must not be able to afford to keep it up with a 5 million a year income? My wife is an RN, licensed in two states, she's not currently working but she keeps her licenses active and keeps her malpractice insurance paid up and we don't net 2% of that 5 mil a year. I hope I gave the impression I am not impressed by the 99% of lawyers that give the rest a bad name.

Reply to
ron

It's likely that ALL experts have ties to the industry. It really couldn't be any other way. Would you like to see the agency run by a professor who had zero work experience in the industry?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I would think, Joe, that somewhere out there is a person that knew both industry and the professional aspects of the agency they are going to oversee. I just have the doubt that a lawyer from the justice department/OIG background knows a thing about what he is tasked to do. With the profundity of the nobama emanations of "kick ass and heel to their throat" that someone with knowledge, tact and respect would be a better choice. [Course Blago needs a job and isn't he a lawyer?] The agency appears to need a thorough shakeup so some knowledge would be nice.

Reply to
ron